Best tweeter amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2004, 04:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best tweeter amp

I posted this in solid state before, but I would like to hear what the tube people think.
What would be the best amp to use in a tri-amp setup, in your opinion? This would be for tweeters only. Approx. 10-20W power.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 9th November 2004, 05:36 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

PP 2A3. Are you certain about the power?
Old 9th November 2004, 06:49 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Geez, EC, how about a tube with an actual cathode in it?
Old 9th November 2004, 08:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would like 10 watts minimum. I enjoy my music loud at times, and I like having sufficient headroom. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming! If you have schematics to pass on, all the better.
Old 10th November 2004, 12:24 PM   #5

The reason I asked about output power is that people frequently underrate tweeter amplifiers. Unless you know that the tweeter is more sensitive than the driver it crosses over from, you need exactly the same power. Thus, a typical "Britbox" (8" cone + 1" dome) sometimes has a tweeter that is 3dB more sensitive than the mid/bass, allowing a 40W tweeter amplifier to be used with an 80W mid/bass.

Unless you are using a horn tweeter or one of the new very sensitive ribbons, I suspect you need more power.

SY: Could have been worse - could have suggested 10Y!
Old 11th November 2004, 12:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The tweeter is rated at 94 db/w. Maybe more power is needed?
Old 11th November 2004, 08:17 PM   #7

That would probably be sensitive enough for me. The advantage of a smaller amplifier is that it's a lot easier to build, especially if it's your first valve project.
Old 12th November 2004, 01:24 AM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Hmmmm........10 to 20W for a dedicated tweeter amplifier?
Really?

I mean, do you really need that many watts to properly drive a 94dB/m tweeter (in a tri-amped system, no less)?

Could anyone be kind enough to shed some light on the theory behind this? And why is PP the recommended way to go, besides the obvious power output advantage, that is?

I mean, if there's any situation where I'd expect a recommend for a SET amp then this would be it......

Cheers,
Old 12th November 2004, 08:31 AM   #9

Hello Frank, although a tweeter amplifier doesn't dissipate much power in a tweeter, it needs to be able to swing as many volts at the crossover frequency as the midrange amplifier (assuming equal sensitivity drivers).

And yes, PP because of the power. Otherwise we're into parallel 300B to get the power. A more subtle thought was that the character of a SET would be so different from silicon that it would be difficult to integrate and conceal the crossover.
Old 12th November 2004, 12:46 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
A more subtle thought was that the character of a SET would be so different from silicon that it would be difficult to integrate and conceal the crossover.
A more cynical thought was that in using it as a tweeter amp, the high HD and output Z would be less crippling than they are for other uses.

Why 2A3 instead of a triode-strapped beam-tube or pentode? Or, for that matter, a 6080?

Hide this!Advertise here!