• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Should I use a cathode capacitor in my SE amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Currently I'm listening to my DIY SE and I am very happy with it. In this amp I'm building an active filter for my new loudspeakersystem, so it's time to strip and rebuild the amp (not as much work as it seems).

In the driver circuit C22 is in the signal path. I was wondering if there are any cons to remove it completely. The interstage's load should be high enough for C22 to be removed, or am I overlooking something?

Ralph

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 287
Ralph

You have overlooked a few things:

C22 could go but so would all that distortion that makes the amp sound the way it does and nobody likes SE for its neutral sound :) Is R22 really 62k should it not be 6k (6k2) or is this a magic interstage 1:1 ?? Is there a capacitor somewhere down the line before R23 ? if not there should be; make its value such that the bass rolls off to suit the interstage transformer or preferably the output, my guess is the output is only good for about 40Hz so why push it lower or do you like the TID ? What are R1-R21 and C1-C21 doing ??

C22 could go but so would all that distortion that makes the amp sound the way it does and nobody likes SE for its neutral sound :)
point taken

Is R22 really 62k should it not be 6k (6k2) or is this a magic interstage 1:1 ??

R22 is really 62K and the interstage is indeed a magic 1:1. I might remove it alltogether.

What are R1-R21 and C1-C21 doing ??
There are used in my powersupply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.