• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help, Just Starting Out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've spent the last week or so reading and reading this forum and many links posted.
I am beginner to electronics but hopefully can follow schematics. I really want to have/make a tube amp for listening to music. After all my researched Ive come to the conclusion: 1. I dont want to die. 2. I dont know whats the best project to start.
I've never worked with high voltage and after reading the perm thread on safety, I'm all scared now :cannotbe: heh
So can anyone recommend me a good project to start, one where everythings been done for you and I just need to follow, build, and learn.
Also, I am in San Diego, CA, USA. Anyone out there from around here know of any groups or such I can start going to. Id really like to meet experienced people who could teach me.
Lastly, are there any must have books I could buy on the subject?

Thanks.

jon

They are both good books, however I would suggest that you start with a single ended triode amplifier kit, or even a solid state kit. A kit will give you all the instructions, parts, chassis and components, makes things a lot easier, especially if you are new to electronics.

Have you heard about the ASL wave 8?

The Morgan Jones books are excellent. Unqualified "buy" recommendation.

Being reasonably scared is a good thing. Voltages should be treated with great respect and caution. But, like tigers, they can be tamed and handled with some experience. One great resource is local ham radio groups- you'll find older guys who have been dealing with HV circuits for many years, and some of them will be happy to supervise you through that first project.

Quote:

Being reasonably scared is a good thing.

Sy, nothing beats the thrill of having 500+ volts enter your body because of an unsafe act. Imagine the thrill when the voltage surges thru your hand and comes out the other side, your heart if its still beating that is has a pronounced rhythem problem now and you are wondering if a visit to the ER is in order. Your hand that made this mistake hurts for the next three or four days. Now you start to wonder if the next time will end up with a trip to the slab.

Yes, being reasonably scared is a very good thing!

G'day Jawbreak

One of the reoccurring posts here seems to be for a recommendation for a simple valve amp project for a beginner to valve electronics.

I see that you have said that you will be buying the Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers" book.

This was my first valve amp book purchase and the EL84 Ultralinear Push Pull (10W per channel) amplifier described in this book was my first valve amplifier project.

I now have 4 other valve amps and 2 solid state amps BUT the little EL84 remains one of my favourite amps.

For your peace of mind there are simple things to do when working on high voltages which if you get into the routine from day one will protect you.

Rules:
Before working on the cicruit:
1) Unplug from the mains
2) wait for high voltage capacitors to discharge
To make measurements on the circuit:
1) Turn it off and wait for high voltage capacitors to discharge
2) Use multimeter leads with a clip so that you can clip the negative lead onto 0V (or whatever reference is appropriate to the measurement)
3) One hand on the multimeter postive probe, the other in your pocket, tucked into your belt or behind your back etc.

Of course Rule 1 is keep your work area tidy.

I worked in Biomedical Engineering for many years so I can tell you with authority that it is electric current across the chest (passed the heart), e.g. from one hand to the other which is the most dangerous.

Cheers,
Ian

A tube project is very easy compared to a transistor project. You can build any single ended design and I bet it would sound better than most solid state amps. I built my first tube amp couple of months ago and I was suprised at how easy this is. The most important thing is that you have to be clear of what you are doing. I didnt have the luxury of being supervised, so I read alot before making decisions. Browse this forum for beginners project, ecl82 is a good project to start with.

About safety, live by 3 rules and you will be ok:

1. Make it a habit of disconnecting the plug before touching anything insisde.
2. Ground your chasis.
3. Use bleeder resistors.

Its hard to get a shock if you obey these three simple rules.:D :D :D
And of course, dont be shy about asking 'stupid' questions in this forum.

Wow thanks everyone for all the awesome replies.

Yeah, im definiately going to read up a lot more and get things completely understood first...
Thanks for the safety tips, I was really scared about this.
I worked in Biomedical Engineering for many years so I can tell you with authority that it is electric current across the chest (passed the heart), e.g. from one hand to the other which is the most dangerous.

... when i was in high school, just graduated college (computer science :p), I was working on a power supply and left it plugged into the wall and felt a surge through one arm across the chest out the other. I can believe I didnt get hurt and am extremely lucky. So now am really paranoid and give me the chills just thinking about it. I want to be extra safe.
Is a rubber mat good to stand on? And do they sell like special rubber gloves to wear while working?
Also is there a place that explains about bleeder resistors for discharging capacitors so I know exactly how to do it?

Thanks again all. you guys are awesome!

Bleeder resistor

You can put a bleeder resistor across the power supply caps and just leave it there. Large value resistors like 220kohms can be used. There might be a proper calculation for it, but it doesnt hurt to use any resistors u have on hand.
I have no idea how it affect the sonics of the amp, I am interested to know myself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.