• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newbie to tubes, what can they handle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I'm a fairly experienced solid state guy (chip and discrete) but I'm just starting to get into tube amps as I need a guitar amp. So this question might be aimed more at the musicians out there. I just started playing guitar again (I was a bass player for many years) and I am in need of an authentic vintage overdriven tube amp sound.

I'm running a DBX tube preamp (single 12AX7) into a peavey keyboard amp. To get the sound I want I'm massively overdriving the input to the preamp. It sounds fantastic although needs a little EQ and some reverb, which the peavey provides.

My question is, do I need to worry about blowing the preamp unit? It's powered by a 9V adaptor, so I'm not very worried. I doubt that 9V, no matter how its biased, could hurt the tube. Am I correct in this assumption? Should I worry about anything else?

Pete

cm961 said:
I just started playing guitar again (I was a bass player for many years)
Traitor.

Tubes can take a lot when used like that. Don't worry about it, but don't limit yourself to the 12AX7 when/if you start to build your own designs. It's crap, and I only use it in designs because of market demands and availability.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.