• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Boostrapping?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm modifying my 4 x KT88 Push Pull prototype at the moment.

I'm changing the driver stage to 12AU7 cathode follower to direct couple drive the output tube grids.

It's been suggested to me that I also use the cathode follower to bootstrap the previous common cathode stage.

Do I do this the same way you would a solid state circuit - that is split the anode load in half and capacitively couple the cathode of the follower to this junction? - Is the a better/alternative way?

Any links to example circuits/opinions/theories etc. gratefully received.

Cheers,
Ian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Just so's you don't get the wrong idea, bootstrapping doesn't always reduce linearity. A mu-follower is an example of bootstrapping where the cathode follower at the top bootstraps its load resistor, making that same load resistor look larger to the lower valve, reducing distortion of the lower valve, and because most of the stage's distortion is produced by the lower valve, bootstrapping reduces total distortion..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.