• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT88 budget- Sovtek, Valve Art, EH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to build a pair of SE KT88 monoblocs on a budget and am trying to select tubes. My searches here indicate Sovtek and EH produce about 1/2 the harmonic distortion of JJ. Any experience with Valve Art tubes?

Given a choice of those three- EH, Sovtek and Valve Art what would you choose?

If it helps here are my current choices for the other main components- Hammond iron, 1628SE OT, 272BX PT and 193L choke. Sovtek 5Y3GT rectifier and Svetlana 6N1P driver.

Shooting for a B+ of 400V.

Re: SEDs

Positron said:
Might want to consider SEDs/winged Cs. They do require a bit more tweeking, but the reward is better sound.

Just a thought.
Steve

Steve,
They seem to be about 60-70% more than Valve Art but still affordable. (At least less than the $850 that Western Electrics run!)

What types of tweaking do they require? B+, feedback, filtering, all of the above? I've built a couple of tube amps and repaired a couple of tube radios but I am far from expert.

tweeks

Try to eliminate electrolytics from the power supply if you can.

Work on tweeking the FR, this is especially important. The extremes make alot of difference. Harmonic textures, speed etc. are affected.

If possible, use a separate PS (power supply) for each stage.

If this cannot be done, try to maximize isolation techniques in the power supply. Bass signals tend to especially feedback from one stage to another. But don't forget the highs could be affected by what you do in the bass region.

DIY means expeimenting. Have fun and take your time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.