• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cats prefer 12E1's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the circuit in its current version - probably all wrong but it sounds quite nice anyway. I'm not sure about the driver stage though as most people reckon that a 6SN7 needs lots more volts to sound its best.

I got the idea for the amp from peter millett's site where he has done something similar with EL34s.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/el34_active-load_(srpp)_amp.htm

I did try the 12E1s with the top one as a pentode but didn't like the sound very much. The srpp driver arrangement makes the sound a bit more punchy and improves the bass compared with the single 6SN7 version

The controls in the picture are vernier knobs that fit on multi-turn pots. I salvaged them from some redundant test equipment from an offshore installation. The rack had been made locally so chances are that the parts were sourced in this country.
I remember seeing these in an RS catalogue a few years ago but I don't know if they still make them

I am not sure whether it's been raised in this forum before but as an interesting contribution to the debate about the appreciation sound your cat reminded me of an observation that the late John Linsley Hood made. In one of his articles, in what was then "Wireless World", he made the point that his cat would leave the room and refuse to listen to certain circuits until they were modified. Anyone else have pets with "golden ears"?

Jonathan Bright said:
I am not sure whether it's been raised in this forum before but as an interesting contribution to the debate about the appreciation sound your cat reminded me of an observation that the late John Linsley Hood made. In one of his articles, in what was then "Wireless World", he made the point that his cat would leave the room and refuse to listen to certain circuits until they were modified. Anyone else have pets with "golden ears"?

I've noticed that with certain recordings, both classical and pop, Moe, my listening cat, gets up and relocates to the corner behind my speakers. He definately doesn't like the digitally remastered Beatles lp's from the early '90's. :xeye:

Cat next to an amp? How about a cat in a speaker? :D

Xita1.jpg

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Lovely photograph! No doubt the loudspeaker is a tranmission line that you have elected to stuff with short-haired cat's fluff.

martinab2: Unfortunately, the cat who monitors my output currents isn't too bright and has difficulty grasping a tweaker in her paws, so the best I could hope for would be a hurried dash from the room as the anodes turned to slag.

Attachments

• hot cathode.jpg
    hot cathode.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 530
The LED DVMs came from a scrapped contol panel I found in a skip. One of the (few) advantages of living in Aberdeen is the amount of offshore oil and gas companies based here. It seems that all equipment has a lifespan, and when that expires, it gets thrown out and then rescued by people like me..

pedroskova said:

I've noticed that with certain recordings, both classical and pop, Moe, my listening cat, gets up and relocates to the corner behind my speakers.

Heh, that's the name of one of my five. Never did get the "Larry" and "Curly" that would have completed the set. Moe has singlehandedly (errrr, singlepawedly) destroyed every Aerogel woofer/midrange that has come into this house. Cat just doesn't like Audax, I suppose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.