Cats prefer 12E1's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2004, 10:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Default Cats prefer 12E1's

Just a picture of Rosie, my cat in her usual 'sunbathing' position beside my amp.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I played with some 12E1's about 18 months ago, then moved onto other things. Do you have a schem of your amp? I'm collecting designs for when I get back home (Feb) and get to try some again.
Old 3rd November 2004, 02:51 PM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

That cat isn't sunbathing, she's closely monitoring the current in your output valves! I have a cat who does exactly the same thing. She sits precisely on the centre line between a pair of 13E1 so that she can keep an eye on both DVMs.
Old 3rd November 2004, 02:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the circuit in its current version - probably all wrong but it sounds quite nice anyway. I'm not sure about the driver stage though as most people reckon that a 6SN7 needs lots more volts to sound its best.

I got the idea for the amp from peter millett's site where he has done something similar with EL34s.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/el34_active-load_(srpp)_amp.htm

I did try the 12E1s with the top one as a pentode but didn't like the sound very much. The srpp driver arrangement makes the sound a bit more punchy and improves the bass compared with the single 6SN7 version
Old 3rd November 2004, 03:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

And all that time I never guessed what she was up to !! What does your cat do if the current gets too high?
Old 3rd November 2004, 03:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Some more pictures of the amp and power supply. Bias current is about 140 mA depending on mains voltage, but that's no problem for a 12E1. Quite demanding on the power supply though.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd November 2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Account Disabled

Hi martinab2

Where did you find those pots?I have heard about those kind of pots in the past but I don't know where to find them.
Old 3rd November 2004, 06:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The controls in the picture are vernier knobs that fit on multi-turn pots. I salvaged them from some redundant test equipment from an offshore installation. The rack had been made locally so chances are that the parts were sourced in this country.
I remember seeing these in an RS catalogue a few years ago but I don't know if they still make them
Old 3rd November 2004, 07:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am not sure whether it's been raised in this forum before but as an interesting contribution to the debate about the appreciation sound your cat reminded me of an observation that the late John Linsley Hood made. In one of his articles, in what was then "Wireless World", he made the point that his cat would leave the room and refuse to listen to certain circuits until they were modified. Anyone else have pets with "golden ears"?
Old 3rd November 2004, 07:56 PM   #10
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Bright
I am not sure whether it's been raised in this forum before but as an interesting contribution to the debate about the appreciation sound your cat reminded me of an observation that the late John Linsley Hood made. In one of his articles, in what was then "Wireless World", he made the point that his cat would leave the room and refuse to listen to certain circuits until they were modified. Anyone else have pets with "golden ears"?
I've noticed that with certain recordings, both classical and pop, Moe, my listening cat, gets up and relocates to the corner behind my speakers. He definately doesn't like the digitally remastered Beatles lp's from the early '90's.

Hide this!Advertise here!