• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My DIY amp (some pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, wicked site, really enjoy the info... I just finished building my first DIY valve (tube) amp. Here it is!! (excuse crappy webcam quality)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I bought it from a friend years ago for use as an electric guitar amp. One channel was blown, and i proceeded to blow up the other channel, at which point it went into storage. It was someone's kitset from the 70's, and never had a proper case, all very homemade looking, although very overengineered (check out the size of that power tranny!)

Anyway I have put it in a decent case, replaced all the components except the coupling caps (on order) and got 4 new Electroharmonix 6V6GTs for the o/p. Preamp tubes (3 12AX7, 1 12AU7) are a mix of (NOS) telefunken, philips miniwatt and RCA. Luckily i got them all free from a friend's dad, good on him!! I have also modified the circuit a little where it needed...

The sound is great, the old coupling caps worry me a bit so i havent played it much, but it has a real smooth sound which is a pleasure to listen to.

My next project is restoring a 1940's wooden radio; this valve thing is addictive!!! :D :D

Nice amp! But I agree with promitheus.

Here is a pic of a amp of mine.

Attachments

• ankitone.jpg
    ankitone.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,160
gromanswe wrote:

"Then I get both good real hifi sound
and something nice to look at....."

Oooooohhh them is fighting words!:eek:

Check out this site:

http://www.dwfearn.com

He makes tube.. yup tube microphone amplifiers for recording studios. I have listened to CDs made through these amps and with no eq used the sound far outperforms any other studios sound.

A well made two stage single ended amp (parts total of $350 USD at that!) can also outperform any $1000 USD solid state amp out there.

Sorry, but I have listened to and made both. And I still gravitate towards tubes.

Just buy a tube amp kit then you truly will get both true hifi sound and the beautiful glow! ;)

OK, I am off my soap box now. Sorry to be so defensive. ;)

Gabe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.