• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me design pre-amp PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been trying to get rid of hum in my pre-amp (6sn7 transcoupled to a tango np126)

I have on hand two chokes from Hammond, a 20H and 12H, and Black Gate wkz 100uf+100uf 500v. I tried LCLC (20H, 100uf, 12H, 100uf) and the hum is terrible.

I tried CLCLCR (1 uf, 20H, 100uf, 12H, 100uf, dropping resistor of 20k to reach 260V), hum was not too bad but still heard from listening position

Any suggestions on how to improve my filtration? Been thinking of doing CLCLC (10uf, 20H, 47uf, 12H, 47uf) then split into two RCR (1k, 100uf, drop R of 20K)

Thanks in advance

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
With all those chokes and big caps, I very much doubt that power supply ripple is your problem.
I agree.

Your hum problems may be from other porpuses.I have some humm problems with my amp.Notice that my ripple on filtering is tooooo small.But hummmmmm.
Try to put away the power tranny from the circuit.And be careful with the position of chokes,interstage tranny and power tranny.Keep the safely 90 degrees placement at each other.

And make sure the ground returns for the gain stages are not sharing copper or chassis with the power supply or other circuits. The star ground approach.

Isolate the problem. is the hum 60Hz or 120Hz? Ripple will be 120Hz - assuming full wave rectification. 60Hz is hum picked up from the tranny, the heaters, or poor shielding.

As Resident says orientate the iron work to prevent magnetic coupling, and as Enzo says in his US centric way 120Hz or 60Hz which I understand also makes sense in the Philippines, if ripple is the problem, but I doubt it is with the size of chokes, you could resonate them with parallel capacitors but make sure they are well rated as the current in them could be high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.