Jansen Bassman 50

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jansen bassman 50

hello guitargeek!how are you?I am knew to this site and saw your question,so thought i'd try and help out.i own a bassman 50,which goes ok,but could do with a bit of a tune up...great units,nice sound.I like them.r u looking to buy one?or simply want to know more about them?Drop me a line!

Roydy said:
Hi Trout,thanks for your link,quite interesting stuff.What sort of amps are you running?
I'm thinking of changing the capacitors in mine,check over everything else,and give it a new cabinet,as the existing one is a bit shot.

Your very Welcome!

I have a really weird bunch of old amps and a bunch of DIY stuff here.

Currently restoring an old 1971 Univox U1511 150watter. I have a few DIY fenders, (Champs, Bandmaster) An old 70's Ampeg SVT
A couple weird little Kays and a 18W Clone of the 1974 Marshall.

Caps are not a bad idea, I have My univox recapped, Now I am replacing oxidized sockets, And will most likely do the pots, I figure I got it this far, Make it perfect. New Tolex might even happen lol.
Trout

Hey Trout,thanks for the reply...you have quite a few amps there!Great stuff.I don't actually know that much about amp electronics;my brother knows quite a bit about electronics however,and I know what i like musically,so between us we get by...
What is your preferred weapon of choice (instument-wise?)I play mainly keys and drums,with a bit of vocals.Mainly recording pop/light rock stuff.

Roydy said:
Hey Trout,thanks for the reply...you have quite a few amps there!Great stuff.I don't actually know that much about amp electronics;my brother knows quite a bit about electronics however,and I know what i like musically,so between us we get by...
What is your preferred weapon of choice (instument-wise?)I play mainly keys and drums,with a bit of vocals.Mainly recording pop/light rock stuff.

Hey, Before you guys start digging into that amp, Please read up on the safety tips In the Sticky.
Safety Tips
Remember, These babies can kill!

My weapons of mass destruction have reduced themselves to a 1959 Gibson Melody Maker, And an original 1st year 1987 Fender Strat Plus Made in America. I have a couple nice acoustics also.

I find those 2 electrics really fill my needs.
Trout

poobah said:
Yeah... I guess. But I like the brute power of the SVT.

I suffered years for my music... and my bass playing... it's time everyone else did.

:D

haha
The SVT was a great bass amp, BUT, That was my primary lead amp back in the 70's-80's. Used it both in practice and on stage.

Yep, I used a bass amp for lead. In all honesty, I felt that the presence and bite of that amp made other high power lead amps look wimpy by comparison.

Right now its in the trout's attic of shame in need of caps and tubes. I figure in a couple of years I may resurrect it.
I find that I do more damage to my hearing (which is already suffering) every time I start Playing the " I remember when tunes Dimed for a couple hours!"

I have it wrapped up in 3 hefty trash liners with 20 tiny bags of silica/dry. I checked it prior to storing it again when we bought the new house and it looked as clean as when I stored it.
Trout

poobah said:
Caps won't set you back much... the 6550's are $170 for a six pack now... or you could could sell it... I know a big hairy guy that...

I bought a bunch of matched Quads of Valve Arts 6550's $56.00 a set plus SH.

At that price I had to buy them.

BTW, I have run a set(pair). I do not know about how they sound in a High End Valve Stereo Amp, BUT, In a guitar amp they sound great!

I ran them in a re-biased DIY bandmaster I have here. Interestingly, They offer more clean headroom at the higher settings on this amp, Which I did not expect.

I hope they will last, They actually seem to be very well built, not especially ugly either.
Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.