• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heating only one half of a double triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it OK to let a current source (LM317) heat only one half of a double triode (provided that I only need one single triode in each channel)? Eg. heater current from pin 4 to 9 in the left channel tube and current from 5 to 9 in the right channel tube.
This way I could swap tubes after some time, and get double milage out of the tubes.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
bequerel said:
Is it OK to let a current source (LM317) heat only one half of a double triode (provided that I only need one single triode in each channel)? Eg. heater current from pin 4 to 9 in the left channel tube and current from 5 to 9 in the right channel tube.
This way I could swap tubes after some time, and get double milage out of the tubes.

Don't see why not. Mind you, I'd simply use both of the valves in the one envelope and not worry about the tiny amount of crosstalk due to the capacitances.

Bequerel,

It's a linestage with output TX

I have tried ECC99 was biased at 18 ma 155 V on the TX input and 18ma without output TX (plate voltage:150V). No hum with AC heaters!

I am still having some difficulties trying to bias the 5687 and the 7044.

However the 5687 and 7044 at 14~15ma are interesting. The 5687 is on the warm side (not my cup of tea); the 7044 is brighter and has more kick than the ECC99....so I am still undecided on which tube to use for the linestage.

"It's a linestage with output TX
I have tried ECC99 was biased at 18 ma 155 V on the TX input and 18ma without output TX (plate voltage:150V). No hum with AC heaters!"

Exactly what I am working on too! Think I will try AC first, since this probably sounds best, too:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.