• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube buffer for a cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are your requirements? If you want to increase the output level of your CD player, you might build a SRPP stage.
If you don't need more output level, a simple Cathode Follower stage would be a good choice.
The benefit of these two types of amplifier stages is their low output impedance, making the choice of audio cables less critical.

You might want to look at this website.

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/audioel.htm#Line preamps

Frank Berry said:
What are your requirements? If you want to increase the output level of your CD player, you might build a SRPP stage.
If you don't need more output level, a simple Cathode Follower stage would be a good choice.
The benefit of these two types of amplifier stages is their low output impedance, making the choice of audio cables less critical.

You might want to look at this website.

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/audioel.htm#Line preamps

Thanks Frank,

Thats a great link.
I want no gain so i think i'll go for the simple cathode follower.

Found this circuit.
Don't know if its any good.
Maybe some of you members can give some input on this circuit.

Attachments

• line tube buffer.jpg
    line tube buffer.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,303
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The specs say those tubes can run at 24V but higher is better.

Exactly.
The cct shown by Ebijma was developped for a Gainclone amp where this bipolar supply was already available.

Upping B+/B- should noticeably improve dynamic range and linearity.
Another useful technique to improve on it is to stick a CCS on the tail end.

Various other buffer types exist so pick your poison...

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Exactly.
The cct shown by Ebijma was developped for a Gainclone amp where this bipolar supply was already available.

Upping B+/B- should noticeably improve dynamic range and linearity.
Another useful technique to improve on it is to stick a CCS on the tail end.

Various other buffer types exist so pick your poison...

Cheers,;)

There's another version of the buffer with a CCS, how's that?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(from http://www.diyzone.net/diy/references/tube/6dj8buffer_2.htm)

Also, what modifications are required to run either of these circuits at say +/-35 or +/- 40V ?

/U.

Nisbeth, the circuit you posted is a simple self-biased cathode follower with an active load.

Not too sure what R1 is doing. If it is a grid stopper it should be as close to the grid as possible so the lead doesn't act as an antenna. I believe the 6DJ8 is known to self-oscillate, particularly used as a cathode follower... not certain on this though.

Since the output is capacitor coupled, a bipolar supply is not really needed... though it will work off one if you are going to install it into a SS amp and share the rails.

Active-Loaded Cathode Follower Buffer

I've drawn something with a 5687... (I happen to like this valve :) ) and a single supply

It's probably over the top for its intended usage... and 200V is rather dangerous, and probably requires higher voltage rated components, especially in the power supply. But allowing more plate-cathode voltage lets the valve provide a greater swing, and avoids the murky area around 0V grid bias where you may or may not get grid current...

The LEDs in the schematic are for their voltage drop... I had something with Vf ~ 1.7V in mind when i drew it. The silicon diode is my attempt at temperature compensation... and the MJE340 may be happier with a small heatsink, as long as it is well insulated

:att'n: For anyone reading this... don't go building this circuit unless you have knowledge and experience with high voltages and valve circuits. Apart from the 200V supply, I haven't triple-checked it and may contain mistakes

Attachments

• 5687.png
    5687.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 764
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.