Help valve newb salvage some old TV tubes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2004, 08:33 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Hmm... It's not like I don't know ohm's law, it's just that I don't know anything about valves, not electronics. I don't think that every electronist has the obligation to be a valve guru. And I have to admit that I don't feel the greatest temptation to become one.
After all, hasn't anyone ever built an audio amp with these tubes?
Old 19th October 2004, 10:54 AM   #12
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_push_pull
After all, hasn't anyone ever built an audio amp with these tubes? [/B]
Of course. Just look for circuits with EL86 and ECL86 - they are the "radio" versions of your tubes. The EL86 was often used in Philips radios, and the ECL86 is quite common also. I could probably dig up some circuits for you, but try Google first...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 19th October 2004, 10:59 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]Just look for circuits with EL86 and ECL86 - they are the "radio" versions of your tubes. The EL86 was often used in Philips radios, and the ECL86 is quite common also. I could probably dig up some circuits for you, but try Google first...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen [/B]

So ECL86 is the radio version of PCL86 and EL86 (not EL84) is the radio version of PL84?
Old 19th October 2004, 11:08 AM   #14
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:

So ECL86 is the radio version of PCL86 and EL86 (not EL84) is the radio version of PL84?
Yes, the E, U and P tubes with the same number are often the same, but not always. I guess the PL84 was made for TV use first. And then it was decided to make an E version, but the 84 number was already in use - but that's just a guess. The EL84 is not available as a P tube for some reason.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 20th October 2004, 12:40 AM   #16
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmm... It's not like I don't know ohm's law, it's just that I don't know anything about valves, not electronics...
...After all, hasn't anyone ever built an audio amp with these tubes?
Aha! I beg your pardon, I had rather assumed that you knew little about electronics. My mistake.

Line scan valves: PL504, PL509/PL519 are popular as output valves in Output TransformerLess (OTL) amplifiers. You probably know the output stage as "totem pole".

Field scan valves: 6BX7, 6BL7 have a following, but you won't get much power out of them. European field scan tended to use pentodes. In neither case was linearity a primary concern.

Audio valves: Push-pull ECL86 in ultra-linear mode makes quite a nice little amplifier. SE pentode ECL86 gives 3W with lots of distortion. SE triode-strapped ECL86 probably < 2W.
Old 21st October 2004, 11:47 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010 Aha! I beg your pardon, I had rather assumed that you knew little about electronics. My mistake.
What did you think my nickname and location meant? Didn't you know what I am and what I do?

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
Line scan valves: PL504, PL509/PL519 are popular as output valves in Output TransformerLess (OTL) amplifiers. You probably know the output stage as "totem pole".

Field scan valves: 6BX7, 6BL7 have a following, but you won't get much power out of them. European field scan tended to use pentodes. In neither case was linearity a primary concern.

Audio valves: Push-pull ECL86 in ultra-linear mode makes quite a nice little amplifier. SE pentode ECL86 gives 3W with lots of distortion. SE triode-strapped ECL86 probably < 2W.
OK, so what about ECL82 valves? I can get two unused EL86's and two unused ECL82's. It would be nice if you took a look at the links above and make a recommendation for an amp that can be built with these valves. I'd really appreciate that
And the output transformer is not such a concern. I think I can get one at a junk shop and rewind it.
Old 21st October 2004, 12:14 PM   #18
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

ECL82 is fine, and some people get quite enthusiastic about them. EL86 is a rather different kettle of fish and is meant for driving high impedance loudspeakers directly (have a look at the data sheet on Frank's site) - it can be used for headphone amplifiers. Any of thos amplifiers in the links should be fine - they're all derivatives of the Mullard design.

Toroidal mains transformers have been successfully used as output transformers in push-pull amplifiers, but the anode currents need to match exactly to avoid core saturation.

Hide this!Advertise here!