• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OT on Decaware SE84C-S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Icebear, first of all you want to make sure you have efficient speakers... At the very least 90dB@watt/meter. More is much better. The SE84CS with stock trannie performs best with low impedence loads(less than 8 ohms). This amp performs _the_ best with 2 ohm speakers. By using a transformer with half the primary impedence you will get better performance with your speakers. I would try a primary Z of around 5k or maybe a little lower, like 3.5k.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A buddy & me are cloning the Decware -- we call them Mulligans (Bogus Zen -> Bogey -> Mulligan :)). We are just using whatever old EL84 SEP console amps i have lying around (i have a few) -- ie making pheonix amps (as in risen from the dead). Typical primary impedance on these is 7-10k with 4 or 8 ( or 4 & 8) or 5 & 10 ohm secondaries. Choice of rectification depends on the salvaged mains trafo.

attached is the latest pheonix we've made -- not a Zen clone, but influenced by... it is cool in that it is only a single tube (+rectifier) for a stereo amp.... pictures to follow.

dave

Attachments

• ell80-spud-amp.gif
    ell80-spud-amp.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 430
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.