• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

VTL Compact 100 Monoblock x 2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!
I own a pair of VTL Compact 100 Monoblocks that use 2 x 12AT7 & 4 x EL34 tubes. I'm quite satisfied with the sound they produce
but few years ago one of their volume became very small that I
have to move myself pretty close to the speaker to hear the sound. At the same time a hi-fi shop is on sale and I bougt a pair
of Audio Resource power amp so that I can still listen to my CDs. I've been using the Audio Resource model Amp One since then (
that was 1997 or 1998) and they are still working normally. Since
I have some basic knowledge of electronics, I intend to fix the VTL myself. The biggest drawback is my lack of experience (also lack of time) that keep me from starting the project for so many years.
I should be grateful if you would please:
1. share that kind of experiences,
2. show the test report or review, if there's any,
3. suggestions of modifications to make it sound even better,
4. the way you think of its sound quality.

All best wishes!

The other audios that I have:
Sansui CD Alpha 717-Extra cd player,
Marantz CD-63 II KI,
Dynaco PAS3,
Spendor Prelude,
Linn LP-12 Export,
SME-3009 III,
DIY 12AU7 preamp,
DIY 6AN8 + EL84 power amp.

Here's a stab at it: possible bad cathode bias resistor bypass capacitor on the 12AT7 AF amp (1st stage) or a bad grid bypass cap on the 12AT7 LTP phase splitter. Also check the coupling caps to the EL34's. And IIRC since the VTL's use PCB's, look for cold/bad soldier joints.

Wayne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.