Determining cap values (old radio) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2004, 01:24 PM   #1
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Determining cap values (old radio)

I recently purchased an old Bakelite tube radio, an Admiral Model 5R11-N. It works very well except for a slight hum, not too bad but more than I think should be there. OK, the speaker cone has a small tear in it but that has no audible effect until the volume gets pretty loud and by then the hum is pretty annoying anyway!

I have tested all the tubes and they all test as very good. Some of the resistors are off by more than 10% (the worst one is about 15% off nominal value). So I think the hum is coming from the caps.

I would like to replace the caps but the surfaces on a couple of them are so bubbled that any markings have long ago disappeared. Can anyone recommend a way to determine the proper cap values?

I have tried to find a schematic for the radio online but so far, no luck. (It does have the tube layout sticker on the bottom though!)
Old 15th October 2004, 02:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The most likely culprets are the electrolytic caps. In table radios, the values are fairly common. About 30 ufd for the first section and about 50 ufd for the second section. They should be rated at 160 to 200 volts.
Coupling caps, except for those in the RF section, are not too critical. They should be rated at 200 volts or higher. You might use a lighter or a match and try to melt the bubbled wax on the old caps so that you'll be able to see the ratings.

Happy re-capping.
Old 15th October 2004, 02:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No exact match, but maybe one close?

http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/s...cs/Admiral.htm
Old 15th October 2004, 06:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sherman,

Please email me and I will send you the schematic and parts list for your radio.
Old 15th October 2004, 11:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
No exact match, but maybe one close?

http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/s...cs/Admiral.htm

Wow! what a great site! My search was obviously too limited. I didn't find an exact match for this radio but I did find one for another radio I'll work on when this one is complete!

Awesome! Thanks!
Old 15th October 2004, 11:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Berry
Sherman,

Please email me and I will send you the schematic and parts list for your radio.

Frank,
That would be great! Email is on its way. Thank you!
Old 15th October 2004, 11:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Berry
The most likely culprets are the electrolytic caps. In table radios, the values are fairly common. About 30 ufd for the first section and about 50 ufd for the second section. They should be rated at 160 to 200 volts.
Coupling caps, except for those in the RF section, are not too critical. They should be rated at 200 volts or higher. You might use a lighter or a match and try to melt the bubbled wax on the old caps so that you'll be able to see the ratings.

Happy re-capping.

I was hoping they would be at least somewhat standard! I don't have any experience with these table radios but have picked up a few in the past year. The first was a piece of cake to repair as everything was readable and a schematic was glued inside the back cover!

I wouldn't have thought of melting the wax. Good tip.

Hide this!Advertise here!