• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

35Z5GT half-wave rectifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only reason anyone ever used that tube was to put it with something like a 50L6 and some preamp tybes and run them off the AC mains without a transformer. Think cheap. So other than AA5 radios, you might look for little record players and stuff.

I would be very, very careful about building an amp without a mains transformer. The outside of your cd player, or indeed the strings on your guitar, could be at mains voltage.

I would throw this tube away and use a proper mains transformer, a GZ34, and some 6L6GCs or EL34s! :smash:

Thanks for your warning SHiFTY but as I told Enzo I will be using a 2:1 stepdown xformer cuz our line voltage here is 220 volts. My main reason for using this tube is that I happened to come across it completely by chance and it got me excited(intellectually, not sexually) about building something with this technology. As an electronics technician it will be a learning curve after which I want to attempt to bulid a "serious" tube amp.

@Isaac Teller

I built a pair of SE monoblocks using 35W4's, 50C5's and 12DT8's quite a few years ago with 1 to 1 iso-xfrms. Sounded quite good amazingly and was fun to build. I had a lot of those tubes lying around at one time long ago. Aaahhh the good old days; sob!

Go for it!
Wayne :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.