• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what rating for diode of 450Volts DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peak Inverse Voltage. If you have 450VDC on the positive peak and -450V on the negative peak, you need a 900V rated diode minimum. I'd go with two 1N4007s in series (for 2000PIV), just in case.

FR107 cross-references to RP110 which is rated 1000PIV and 500nS recovery time, fast enough for maybe 20kHz switcher applications I would say.

For 50/60Hz, high speed diodes are not necessary, if the application is RFI-sensitive, some simple snubbers (usually a .01uF ceramic disk across each diode) will keep it down.

Tim

Tks Tim!
The AC is 340 volts x 2, with a full wave rectification for an 445 Volts output. So in this case the worst case scenerio will be when the B= is 445 volts, and the AC has a begetive 340 volts, ie reverse voltage of 785 Volts....! Pls spike and noised etc..., ok, so I will need to put 2 diode in serial.
I have 5000 PF 600 volts Silver Mica, may be I will use them one for each diode and see how.

Tks again and best rgds

William Lee:eek:

Power Diodes

William,
"Normal" rectifier diodes produce switching noise as they turn on after being reverse biased on one half cycle. The suggested (above) capacitors across each diode act to supress this noise and keep it out of your audio signal chain and also help stop radiation of EMI (Electro Magnetic Radiation).
Rather than try to supress this noise its far better to NOT produce it in the first place. i.e. treat the disease and not the symptom.

For this you will want to use "Soft Recovery" diodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.