• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

nuvistor MC step up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Don't know about the noise but a 6S45 will absolutely kill paralleled 12AX7 soundwise.

If the datasheet is anything to go by req is ~100R which is extremely low.

If the curves are linear at Vg0 you can ground the cathode and couple the tube straight to the cartridge, one less cap in the signal path.

Otherwise it's an amazingly good tube for low level signal applications. Certainly one to consider for anything phono.

// 12AX7s is about the last thing you'd do for an MC stage IMHO.

Another candidate is the 6DJ8 which is what I used prior to the availability of the USSR special tubes.

Cheers,;)

I owned a Conrad Johnson HV1-A at one point and can say that it sounded just marvelous. However, I can also confirm that it was microphonic as hell. Off the top of my head, I can't recall which tube they were using. The circuit was a simple grounded cathode as I recall. I drew it out before letting the unit go, but have no idea where the schematic got to--this was years ago, and I've moved a couple of times in addition to the usual number of other things that disarrange notes. If I get time, I'll try and scratch it up, but it'll be a day or two...or three.
Just beware of the microphony. They had the circuit board mounted on an "elastomer" suspension, meaning that they looped rubber bands through holes in the corners of the board and laced them around standoffs mounted an inch or two away. Still rang like a bell (lovely tinkling noise) if you rapped the chassis with your knuckle. Don't say you weren't warned.

Grey

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this is a well regarded phono that works with MC... you can use a triode on the bottom of the cascode, but it isn't as quiet. (just ignore the line stage bit)

(from Vacuum State web site)

If you just want to step up the signal for an existing you could probably adapt the 1st stage, but it might make sense to do the whole thing.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Strictly Tubes...almost.

Hi,

you can use a triode on the bottom of the cascode, but it isn't as quiet.

Maybe not but I can't help but wonder what this circuit would sound like with a really high gm tube such as the 6C45-P replacing the frontend....

With a Req 100R it has all the potential to come close to the 2SK170BL as far as noise goes, besides tube noise is far less obtrusive to my ears_if at all audible_ than semi-conductor noise.

Then of course there's always MC HAMMER if you're looking for an add-on headamp.
It's dead quiet, can take just about any MC, uses ordinary parts, looks deceptively simple and does not have the word "microphony" in its vocabulary....
All it needs to shine are two pairs of tightly selected 6922s, two matched low noise CCSs and you're done.

Cheers, ;)

Attachments

• mc-headamp.gif
    mc-headamp.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,516
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.