• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6550 o/p stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I'm new hear and this is my first post.
This is the o/p circuit of my old Unicox U1511. It is different than any similar Marshall or Ampeg 150 watt amp I have ever seen. Can anyone comment on why the second pair of tubes has the plate resistors and also the 1.5K resistor on the grids??

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 286
I'm rather surprised to see those resistors on just one pair of tubes. It is possible (just speculating!) that these were necessary because of some layout considerations- perhaps the leads to the second set of tubes were longer, so the designer felt that parasitic suppression resistors were only needed for that pair of tubes. There would be no harm (other than a few pennies in extra cost) in having parasitic suppression resistors on all the o/p tubes.

Thanks to everyone.
Perhaps SY has hit the nail on the head. The transformer has very short leads connected to the first set of tubes, the second set (with the resistors) is a few inches further away.
If you gents care to carry on with this thread, why did the designer go with a single cathode bias resistor instead of individuals. As a matter of fact I see a lot of guitar amps with 6550s have their cathodes connected directly to ground.
thanx again
stew

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

As a matter of fact I see a lot of guitar amps with 6550s have their cathodes connected directly to ground.

That's really very common for guitar amps.
It allows biasing the tubes in such a way that they can be driven to distort to yield a particular sound.
It also makes it easier when putting in a new pair of tubes: a tightly matched set isn't really mandatory as the individual bias allows for more compensation than cathode bias would.
Up to a point at least...

The transformer has very short leads connected to the first set of tubes, the second set (with the resistors) is a few inches further away.

The resistors (or chokes) on the anode/plate serve the same task as gridstopper resistors: they're there to prevent spontaneous self-oscillations.
Hence the name anodestoppers or platestoppers.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.