• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A good SE project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been listening to several tubeamps the last week. OTL, p-p EL34 and p-p EL84. To my speakers (Bastani Prometheus) the Edison 24 (with EL84 tubes) was a good match. I'm thinking of building a good SE amp, and wondered if the EL84 also will make a good job in such a construction? There are maybe other tubes that will work even better? I need like 2-3 watt I guess. I would like to get some input on a good projects to work on during the winter. Appriciate som nice suggestions.

Thanks
Bjørn

Konnichiwa,

icebear said:
I'm thinking of building a good SE amp, and wondered if the EL84 also will make a good job in such a construction?

Used as pentode the EL84 requires negative feedback on your speakers, but you can get between 3 - 4 Watt. If you use the EL84 as triode (it makes a very nice sounding Triode) you are down to 1.5 Watt or 2 Watts at best.

The way around this would be a EL84^3/5 design, using one EL84 as driver and two or four triode connected EL84 in parallel into 2K4/1K2 output transformers for around 4 or 8 Watt theoretically.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.