beginner's ecl82 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2004, 04:45 AM   #11
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Regarding the choke, you should replace the 100 ohm resistor with it. Give it a try and see if it sounds better, it may make no difference.

You could also apply negative feedback as in the mullard circuit, might clean up the sound (if its a bit ragged).

Don't use a transformer as a choke, they have no air gap and will "saturate" quickly. Which means they won't have any inductive effect and is no better than a resistor.
Old 23rd September 2004, 03:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

flyball,
nice work on the casing. I notices you didnt enclose the output transformers. No problem from there right? any exotic components you used on the inside?

I am still working on my casing I am repainting the old chasis. No such thing as 'audiophile' colours right? Right now its still ugly so im posting my pictures later on.
Old 24th September 2004, 12:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to wwflyball
Thanks,

I've built many guitar tube amps and I wanted to build a "budget" tube HiFi to see what the fuss was about.
This project only cost me $250.00Can (+/-200US)
All the items were bought new from off-the-self-parts.
Nothing too exotic.
-JJ 50/50 filter cap can
-Solen caps
-NTE resitors
-ALPS dual gang volume contol
-Hammond 270DX PT
-Hammond CSE OT's
-Motarola (Made in Holland) ECL82 tubes

Point to point wiring on self made terminal strips.

The CSE OT is insulated and has no exposed terminals.
I see many people mount their ESE's externally so I didn't see or feel there was a problem with doing it as well.
If you decide to use the 125A-E series of OT...you might have some concerns since it has exposed terminals.

Two evenings of wiring and another two of listening and tweaking.

I first ran the amp though a pair of Mission 761 (+/-89DB) and a Sony CD player. Though it was not super loud the sound quailty was sure there. Then I made my Solo speakers which really took things up a notch.

I would highly reccomend this project for a first time HiFi builder.
This amp sounds pretty good to me and I wonder how much better a 2A3 or a 300A SE would sound :-)...I'll soon find out!

Mike
Langley B.C.
Old 24th September 2004, 12:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Choke sound

[QUOTE]
How will the choke effect the sound apart from less noise? I read that chokes pushes the soundstage behind, is that true? My amp is almost dead quiet allready, and if can, I want this amp to be as compact as possible.

Skyraider,
using a well designed choke with enough or higher(better) inductance than the critical one in a power supply PI filter will bring many benefits as: better,deeper and stronger bass,less noise,more easy and liquid sound,better soundstage.Try it and you will be satisfied with the sound.

Regards,
Yugovitz
Old 24th September 2004, 03:15 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

well, still doesnt convince me to use my 10H choke for this small project. I will devour one of my cheap trafos and wound up a choke after this.

Anyway, I need help with another problem. The amp i'm building requires 5k output transformer impedance. But what I have is only these:

I am currently using 8k-8k, but I am afraid I might be wong. Or should I just use CT-8K connection?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output transformer.jpg (20.1 KB, 687 views)
Old 4th October 2004, 01:48 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

the bird is singing happily in my living room now. The soundstage is not as wide and focused as my gainclone monoblock, the estimated frequency response is 100Hz-12KHz. The high treble is not so liquid, almost like splatering glass. Nevertheless, Nat King Cole rose from the grave
Still no photos..
Old 5th October 2004, 08:42 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Choke sound

Skyraider,
did you used a PS choke?

Regards,
Yugovitz
Old 5th October 2004, 04:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Previously I used a wire-wound 100R which has an air core in the PS. I guess it sort of acts as an inductor. After messing around, I broke one of the legs. I have it replaced using those white colour modern resistors. I guess the old one sounds better.
Im gonna put in the choke, and see if it helps with the bass. Or is it a fault with my OPT wiring?
Old 8th October 2004, 02:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I have it moded to ultra-linear mode.
The sound: heaven

Previously SE pentode is a bit thick-sounding, female vocals doesnt sound right. Now its brought to a correct balance, and playing complex jazz parts is not a problem. Treble is now smoother, the grains are almost all gone.
If its not for the lack of bass, I would have thrown away my gainclone.
Im gonne try triode mode after this.
Old 8th October 2004, 02:19 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Inserting the choke improves bass a bit and lowering the rectifier noise. The sounds clearer now, with more spaces between instruments. But still I want my boom booom booom

Hide this!Advertise here!