• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Push Pull amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
compact2.jpg

this is terribly interesting. i stumbled upon this schematics and i`m wondering if there is any downside to this topology since it looks super cheap and simple to build. is there anything that i would have to look out for?

i`m trying to build something super simple that i can tweak easily. would adding NFB help?

what would be a good start? i`m actually thinking of using 6080s in place of the el84 with a much smaller Z opt.

i`m trying to use uncommercialized output valves to keep cost down while still using NOS tubes. any recommendations?

Yes I agree,
I think to give this project a chance, also because I've in my junk box everything necessary (at least for one channel).

But I'm puzzled by the sentence "the output stage amplify its own distortion" (from tschrama).
I really don't understand how it may happen, but he refer to a previous thead so probably embedded in the forum there is the explanation I need . . .

Ciao!
Massimo

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hacknet, although you might not believe me at first, the price of individual valves isn't the critical thing in keeping costs down. The best way of keeping costs down is to keep the HT voltage at 300V. However, you can save significant money by going for valves that don't have 6.3V heaters. The circuit you presented (and its variations) will only work in pure Class A, so you will probably only get 6W out of it. 829B is a useful valve, and they're cheap as chips.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.