• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6BM8 Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found a schematic for a PP 6BM8 amp called "WaveDT" ( can't remember the URL) ----but it raised a question. The screens are wired directly to the B+ and the plates are fed through the center tap of the OPT. As a result the screen voltage is 10 V higher than the plate. Never saw that before---can someone comment as to the how and why of this configuration.

Pete

Actually, that's pretty common, especially in the old days when we didn't use regulation too much. IIRC, this was also true fro some of the older Audio Research amps.

In any case, once the screen voltage is set, varying the plate voltage doesn't have a first order effect. So as a matter of convenience, they're often run off the same supply. The screens, not being fed through the OPT DC resistance, naturally end up at a bit higher voltage.

That schematic (Wave DT) is for the last iteration of the Wave 8 monoblock amp by Divergent Technologies (ASL).

You've probably heard about those being a great buy and very tweakable. I have them and enjoy them even more after substituting some resistors and capacitors. They are rated to deliver 8 watts.

I hope that helps a little. DT stopped making those in 2003 and have replaced that model with a 20 watt version.

Pete,
I don't know anything special about the output transformer.

I collected a post from AA where a guy was considering upgrading to a Hammond output transformer, either a Hammond 125H (8w, 10k ohms prim imp) or a Hammond 125J (8w, 2.5K/4K ohm prim imp). He was uncertain which of those would be appropriate as am I.

SY said:
Actually, that's pretty common, especially in the old days when we didn't use regulation too much. *snip* In any case, once the screen voltage is set, varying the plate voltage doesn't have a first order effect.
It follows then, that if you are going to regulate anything, regulate the low current screen supply first. The plates pull whatever current the control & screen grids tell them to. Any instantaneous variation in plate voltage, i.e. hum, does not affect the plate current very much.

ohenry;
InSvetlana Tech Bulletin#8, (using the 6BM8 in audio appl.) Eric Barbour uses a Hammond 1620 (6600 0hm CT) for his 10 watt amp, and indicates that any comparable OPT from4300-10K would work with only adjustments to the feed back circuit.

I would assume that the 125C, D, H or J would work. As Frank has indicated.

My only concern was the drop across the windings which sets the plate voltage, however, the information provided by Sy and Circlotron would suggest that this is not an issue. Think I'll try a pair of monoblocs and see what the result is. Thanks to all for the help.

Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.