• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube mic preamp/mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

..........And why use a triode/penthode where a single LOW noise penthode would do nicely already?

Isn't there a circuit using the 5879 in one of the RCA Receiving Tube Manuals designed for micpreamp use.......?

Or an EF86/6267?
At least that one's still around in abundance and likely to stay with us for another twenty years.
Plenty of low level circuits available to pick from as well.

No idea about the US but in Europe at least there are still some absolutely amazing small signal penthodes around that are hardly used by anyone anymore.
Quite a few of those could be just the ticket you need.

Cheers,;)

other circuits?

I can either try Geek's Idea(which I don't have a problem with), or go with fdegrove's idea, but there are no other circuits like this in my manuel.

Does anyone in this thread hav a schematic of a circuit that would work better? A single pentode?... What about phantom power?

Thanks

Thanks Geek!

Cool! Phantom power :D!

-Trevor

PS- I was thinking...could I replace the one 7199 tube in my circuit with 2 tubes (a triode and a pentode) that would provide similar gain characteristics? Before I even posted this thread I had heard unfavorable comments about the 7199...

how about...

what about a 12AX7?

-Trevor

PS- Geek, is the phantom power circuit you posted supposed to be it's own console, seperate from the preamp? And I assume that I am reading the schematic from left to right---- with the input being the jack on the left side of the drawing, and the right being the output. correct?

Re: how about...

Sir Trefor said:
what about a 12AX7?

12AX7 is an excellent tube. Using both sections will give you plenty of gain, but without NFB, will be noisier than a single high-gain pentode.

PS- Geek, is the phantom power circuit you posted supposed to be it's own console, seperate from the preamp? And I assume that I am reading the schematic from left to right---- with the input being the jack on the left side of the drawing, and the right being the output. correct?

You can place it anywhere you want. In the preamp or mahe an inline coupler from a plumbing pipe and some connectors.

Yes, I forgot to add that in the circuit, the DC blocked side to the preamp, the mic to the other. Reverse it and your preamp frontend may go POOF!

Geek said:
Phantom power injector :D

Hi,
Standardized value for polarised resistors in balanced phantom power supply is 6k8 (not 10k). Manufacturers design mic's electronic using this value. Also, serial caps are to small; input mic preamp's impedance is few kohms. Usually, serial caps are good quality elcos 47uF/63V blocked with small (100nF) MKP.
Regards
Milan

too bad...

I will now have to go back to the electronics store to purchase the nessasary parts; as I am already in the process of building this thing---- thanks for the warning; at least I didn't solder anything together yet!

-Trevor

PS- thanks, everyone, you've given me me great info on what tubes I should use--- but I need a circuit schematic to use the tubes in!

moamps said:

Hi,
Standardized value for polarised resistors in balanced phantom power supply is 6k8 (not 10k). Manufacturers design mic's electronic using this value. Also, serial caps are to small; input mic preamp's impedance is few kohms. Usually, serial caps are good quality elcos 47uF/63V blocked with small (100nF) MKP.
Regards
Milan
Do you mean 6 to 8k..., or... 6k?
which caps are you referring to? (what are the serial caps)? And, when you refer to "blocking" the serial caps with smaller caps, does that just mean to connect the 2 caps in series?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.