• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Optical-Isolation Unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice article in AudioXpress this month with an analogue opto-coupler for your tube stuff.

These devices are very linear, the HCNR201's spec is 0.05%, but I found it to be 0.01% to 0.03%. They should be much lower noise than the photo-resistor analogue isolators --

The author used the Infineon (Vishay) IL300 -- note that the Agilent HCNR-200 and 201 can also be used but were probably not available to the author. The IL388 is a faster version of the IL300. Vishay has some excellent application notes on their website (as does Agilent.) Look for AN50 on the Vishay site.

Agilent also has an analogue opto-isolator which uses a modulator-encoder on one side and a decoder on the other side of the barrier -- Agilent says that their linearity is even better than the photo-diode device.

Newark Electronics carries both the Infineon and Agilent Devices, Digikey carries only the Agilent Devices.

when I wrote the article on the MCUTracer for AX I used the HCNR-200 between the LT1014 first opamp and the microprocessor. I found a company unloading some of the more expensive HCNR-201's and IL388's and purchased them.

On a subsequent revision of the article I took out the analog opto-isolators because it added a bit more complexity and cost than I wanted -- you need two sets of opamps -- one in front of, one after the optical barrier and the devices are about $3 if you don't buy a lot of them (so you would need one on each channel). If I have boards made for the MCUTracer (there seems to be some interest out there) I will probably just use 4N35's on the ADC output.

If I go with a manufactured ADC board though I would use the HCNR201's because even with their added cost they are less expensive insurance than blowing a USB card.

You do have to play with the compensation a bit since the surface area of a photodiode makes it look like a big capacitor (well, some picofarads). Around my lab everything oscillates once in a while.

Analog Devices makes some nice isolation devices -- one of their big markets is medical and you don't want some cardiac patient to inadvertently get zapped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.