• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SN7-GTB Globe (Chinese)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Check this out.. I done a quick scan and couldn't find anything evident in the forums so I wasn't sure if you guy's have known of this and posted anyway.

This is a special made 6SN7 tube, with globe glass. There are extra support bars to tighten the system to the tube bottem. Also very nice made is the socket, of red-brown material, with solid brass sides. The brass is very good quality, and if you want you can polish it shiny with normal copper polish. The tennis ball glass is very nice made, and this is a very nice piece of glass blowers work. They are hand made, and not made on machines, like normal 6SN7. They have the quick heat-up cathodes of the GTB's. Very attactive priced!

They are going for $55 Euro or about $90 AUD pre-tax for a pair!

How do you think they will perform, sound?

Cheers.

An appearance gimmick, I'd guess. The internals don't look as solid as, say, a 5692. And a globe will allow somewhat more gassiness over time than a tubular envelope (greater surface area).

Bottom line- if you MUST have something that looks unusual and you're willing to pay an extraordinarily high price, these might be the way to go.

Disclaimer: I have not used or tested these tubes myself. They could be manna from heaven.

SY said:
An appearance gimmick, I'd guess. The internals don't look as solid as, say, a 5692. And a globe will allow somewhat more gassiness over time than a tubular envelope (greater surface area).

Bottom line- if you MUST have something that looks unusual and you're willing to pay an extraordinarily high price, these might be the way to go.

Disclaimer: I have not used or tested these tubes myself. They could be manna from heaven.

Cool =)

Maybe when there is nothing else to do except to shop for tubes, instead of saving for trafos...

The globe is an attractive 'gimmick' but these are so huge that they won't fit in most existing amps because of socket to other component spacing. Thus only useable in new product designs. That plus thinking that line stage tubes should not be larger than output bottles I'm thinking they shud have made these globes smaller. Also not much getter flash in there to pump this large space down at time of manufacture. Sy also points out possible long term issues with large area internal outgassing vacuum depletion. Then there's the question about how good they are as an electronic component in addition to just an L'objet d'art?

I say nice try but needs some fine tuning fellas!

Geek said:
My only experience with "Made in China" is what I find in dollar stores. I'm supposed to trust these?

According to Chinese manufacturing, yes :p

Personal opinion? nope, not at all, nada!

You're not expected to eat off em either =)

Maybe another company could pick up on a 6SN7 in this envelope design, could be a nice change from all those EL84's/6V6/12AX7 etc, what do you think?

That's the end of that as far as I'm concerned.

Yup :whazzat:

Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.