• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Inductors made for crossover in an amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry for asking an elementary question but i kinda can`t find the answers.

Can inductors made for speaker crossovers be used for and amp`s powersupply?

i`m lookin at the ferrite core inductors on sale in madisound. at 19awg, how much current can i pass through it before it saturates?

Thank You!

hacknet said:
sorry for asking an elementary question but i kinda can`t find the answers.

Can inductors made for speaker crossovers be used for and amp`s powersupply?

i`m lookin at the ferrite core inductors on sale in madisound. at 19awg, how much current can i pass through it before it saturates?

Thank You!

Hello ,
No good , I'm afraid ! Too low in value and only rated for AC . I suppose you could always use cheap surplus SE output transformers and leave the secondary flapping . May also make so-so plate chokes

cheers :)

316a

Well, you could use them with say 20mF (= 20,000uF), but that's only useful for a good number of amperes, at low voltage (read: SS).

However, they also represent greater loss due to having no core, or at least a ferrite one. A good power choke would use a laminated iron core, allowing more filtering for less size and loss. Though any inductance is better than the rampant CRC filters I saw on last look through the SS forum... :eek:

Tim

My Coil Design and Construction Manual, by Babani Electronics Books, shows no equations, but tables for different contructions. Basically, you select an inductance from a list of common values, or from a nomograph to find other decimal values, then apply corrections to apply this data to a core of your choice (the ratios of data in the first table assumes one particular core). The assumption is made that you use a wire suitable for the current capacity, and the tables find a turns number which just happens to fill out the core. There are also tables for proper air gap, which the data assumes you use.

But that doesn't help you any, so I'll add: L = 3.2 * N^2 * mu * A * 10^-8 / l, where L is in henries, N is turns, mu is permeability, A is cross-sectional area of the core (center leg) in square inches and l is length of the magnetic path in inches. For generic transformer iron, mu = 1000 or so (up to 100,000 for mu metal).

RDH4 has a lot of info on the subject.

Tim

info fo PSU chokes

JojoD818 said:
Just curious, why can't I find any details on winding a diy choke? I mean, we have the magnet wires, the E-I cores, covers and legs, the only thing missing is the number of turns and what size to use.

Jojo,
Radiotron Designer's Handbook is an excellent source for info regarding chokes and PSU.I wind my chokes using Hanna's method which is well described,and is in a way, empirical method,mostly.Just convert the values in metric numbers(if you need) and use the little graph for determing the gap,turns,etc....Haven't had any problems so far!

Regards,
Yugovitz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.