• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

supersize me, please. (powersupply)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi one and all!

I just wanted to ask a small question so here goes:
is there any practical advantages with an overdimensioning the transformer for the powersupply?

i have the choice between having one made to fullfill my needs and no more or buying one from hammond for a bit more and using a 20W caddoc resistor to drop the voltage and not using one of the 3 sec-windings. it seems to be kind of pointless so better be safe than sorry, there of the question.

well, i'm using diodes for rectification "full wave capacitor input load" i think it's called and it seems like i will have it wound for me, that way i can get it exaclly as i want it.
specs:
sec 200-0-200@300mA, 6,3V@4A.
that should be enough for 1 6sn7 and 2 6v6 (180V resp 250V). that and some headroom for another pair of 6v6 if the need arises.

I'm starting with a 6sn7-6v6 based amp from Boozhound but with different psu, it seems like a simple first project with many possibilities for modifications and tinkering. if it turns out ok then it's not so hard or expensive to add an extra 6v6 in parallell and buy bigger/better iron to avoid saturation.

bytheway, has anyone used those universal hammond irons? i read a test somewhere that even though the are rated 100-15kHz the acually have a range from 20-20KHz. Also Angela instruments had an review stating that you could get a richer bas

"by moving the connection from the bottom of the cathode resistor/bypass cap to the white secondary tap of the OPT instead of directly to ground"

but there's NO WAY that i'm doing that to my beloved speakers :blush:

anyway, i had my eyes set on the vdv3070 by menno van der veen but after some reading, and surfing this forum, it seemed to be quite an undertaking and there's probably better choices than a pushpull-quartet-EL34-triodemode-amp (peuh) when it comes to fidelity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.