winding a toroidal pp output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2004, 07:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb winding a toroidal pp output

Hello there evryone.
Well I am currentely working on a prodject building a biamped guitar amplifier. I wish to use 6v6s on one side ans el 84s on the other. I need to come up with suitable opts for this project. I am considering winding my own but am unfamiliar with toroid winding techniques and have found a complete lack of information on this subject so far. If anybody has info regarding winding toroids or links for this please let me know. If not I am considering using fender deluxe trannys from angela instruments if these are good. The amp so far is based on a 1949 philco floor model radio cabinet chopped 10 inches with a leslie rotating speaker unit from a hammond organ in the rear and a celestion greenback 30.
If anyone knows how to wind a toroid opt for 6v6s or 6bq5s than plese let me know.
Dr. Frankenstein
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:22 AM   #2
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You could try posting on rec.audio.tubes there is a transformer genius there... Otherwise why not buy some currently available ones like the plitrons.

Toroids are hard to get right apparently...
Old 3rd September 2004, 05:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Who the heck can afford plitrons? Any and all info is greatly appreciated though. Thanks Frankenstein
Old 3rd September 2004, 10:20 AM   #4
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Re: winding a toroidal pp output

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Frankenstein
Hello there evryone.
Well I am currentely working on a prodject building a biamped guitar amplifier. I wish to use 6v6s on one side ans el 84s on the other. I need to come up with suitable opts for this project. I am considering winding my own but am unfamiliar with toroid winding techniques and have found a complete lack of information on this subject so far. If anybody has info regarding winding toroids or links for this please let me know. If not I am considering using fender deluxe trannys from angela instruments if these are good. The amp so far is based on a 1949 philco floor model radio cabinet chopped 10 inches with a leslie rotating speaker unit from a hammond organ in the rear and a celestion greenback 30.
If anyone knows how to wind a toroid opt for 6v6s or 6bq5s than plese let me know.
Dr. Frankenstein
Hello ,
If you do not require deep bass , consider mains toroids .

cheers

316a
Old 3rd September 2004, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey 316a,

I thought you looked familiar. I saw you on TV last night!
Old 5th September 2004, 11:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

This link explains some aspects pf toroid winding but it's not specifically about output transformers. Hope it might be of some use.
Old 5th September 2004, 12:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

For a good op transformer, you need to be carefull about how you interleave the primary and secondary windings. Ofthen these are wound in steps, alternating sec and prim, changing layer width etc to get good coupling and low stray cap.
This is definitely not for the newby.

Jan Didden
Old 5th September 2004, 02:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Why a Toroid? For DIY I think it is much easier to use a EI- or C-core.

There are a lot of information on the net on how to wind your own OT, as I found the information a bit too scattered to be useful so I wrote my own text that can be found here: http://www2.gol.com/users/tube/transformers.pdf (feedback positive or negative is welcome)

Trying to wind a Toroid without special machines I think is very heavy work and I doubt that you get much better result than with a C-core. One idea is to start with an old C-core mains transformer that can be found for next to nothing. C-core are very close to toroids in performance but much easier to wind and have much problems with DC unbalance.

Regards Hans
Old 7th September 2004, 06:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all of you diy ers out there who are helping me gather the info I need to complete my masterpiece. This forum has been a true blessing and I hope we keep it going. FRANKENSTEIN
Old 7th September 2004, 04:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Hans (Tubetvr),
Are you Japanese now or still Swedish ?
I lived in Japan for a while and loved it . I guess you do too.
But I'm brown and couldn't fit in easily...merge into the surroundings etc.
Sayonara,
Ashok.

Hide this!Advertise here!