Quicksilver 8417 bias runaway? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2004, 07:16 AM   #1
popeye4 is offline popeye4  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Quicksilver 8417 bias runaway?

I recently picked up a couple of Quicksilver 8417 amps (the originals, not the GE version). One of them is exhibiting runaway bias current after warming up for a few minutes. I've backed the bias pot all the way down, but using the ammeter supplied with the amps, I hear a crackle then the ammeter starts to climb quickly (and pegs). The amp blew a fuse the first time this happened (I was listening, not monitoring the bias current). I swapped the 8417 tubes between the amps and the problem did not go with the tubes.

Does this sound like a bad cap? Or do I have more expensive problems to resolve?

Thanks for any info,
Doug
Old 1st September 2004, 11:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lets see if I can post a schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qs8417amp.jpg (46.8 KB, 554 views)
Old 1st September 2004, 11:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Doug

I own several versions of the Quicksilver 8417 amplifier. There is NO difference other than the selection of the feedback resistor and several other resistors. The feedback amount remains the same between the different vintages. As far as their being a difference that allows you to use either the GE or Phillips tube I will cry BS.

I would suggest never changing tubes when there is a problem of this nature. The 8417's are costly and hard to come by. Just my .02 I will move aside while Frank answers your question. The fix is easy.
Old 1st September 2004, 11:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Sounds like one of 0.180µF coupling caps is leaky.

Try a new one_or swap them around_ and see waht that does.

Cheers,
Old 2nd September 2004, 05:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info, guys. It goes to the shop today, I just wanted an idea of what it might set me back.

Thanks, Doug
Old 2nd September 2004, 09:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Doug

There is no need to send her to the shop. Go to your local parts store and purchase 2) caps and replace them yourself. When your done treat yourself to your favorite bottle of scotch.
Old 3rd September 2004, 01:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, I did get the caps and put them in myself. The amp now works fine. The guy at the shop I frequent had them (0.22 uF rather than 0.18, but he assured me that was OK); no one else had them.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I just wasn't properly motivated. (I like Scotch!)

Doug
Old 3rd September 2004, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The 8417's are costly and hard to come by
I still have some NOS and good used ones.
If someone is interested, please send me a mail.

Dick.
Old 3rd September 2004, 11:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Well, I did get the caps and put them in myself. The amp now works fine. The guy at the shop I frequent had them (0.22 uF rather than 0.18, but he assured me that was OK); no one else had them.
Forgot to mention it...
Ideally the caps should be 600V MKP types or better and matched within 1% for both monoblocks.

If you can get hold of reasonably priced polypropylene film & foil cap such as MIT, RelCap or TRTs give them a try.
No doubt in my mind there are other good ones but at least I know these are excellent.

Best policy is to change the caps in both blocks, you don't want to end up with two disparate channels.

In case you plan on modding the amps to take the GE 8417s and change the bias scheme, don't forget that, since the gridleak resistors are substantially lower, you'll need to use higher value coupling caps (0.47µF to 0.68µF/600VDC).
It doesn't hurt to put in these values now even if you plan on using the GEs later on.

Instructions on how to adapt the amp for use with the GE8417s can be found here:

UNCLE NED'S ADVISE.

The complete schematic can be found here:

QS 8417

Cheers,
Old 3rd September 2004, 11:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Frank

Please explain the differences between the Phillips and the GE version. I have both versions and they are the same in the bias section. There are different values used in the feedback loop. I have found only two resistors that are different in the amps.

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!