• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help on Preamp Mute Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I follow all the advise from this forum how to connect the mute swich to my preamp, output connect it to ground.
Yes it works. I used DPDT switch then connect 0.1µF between the pins (input to output pins) and not the input to ground. But there was thump sound on both mute off and mute on...
Any advise how to deal with this????
Thanks a lot..
Billy

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Not sure I understand how you hooked up the switch but I never had any trouble with this setup:

Cheers, ;)

Attachments

• mute.gif
    mute.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 535
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
What you describe suggests that there could be DC on the mute switch. When the switch is activated, it causes the capacitor to discharge suddenly, giving a transient that you hear as a 'thump' in the speaker. When it is deactivated again, the capacitor charges again but slowly, through a high value resistor.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have a 1Meg resistor connected to GND after the ouput cap of 0.47µF/600V.

If I may say so: if you make a habit out of muting the preamp while it's warming up it's impossible for a DC voltage to develop at the output of the coupling cap.
It's shorted to ground so whatever the bleeder resistor's value, nothing can happen at that spot.

However, in case you measure a DC voltage after a period of warm up at the coupling cap and it doesn't go away, you have either DC coming in from the amp or a leaking coupling capacitor.
Either of which could be the cause of the turn-on/turn of thump you're hearing.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.