• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with VTL preamp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a VTL Integrator linestage/preamp and when connected to an amp, the speakers (woofers) moves forward and back in a random fashion. I have checked the heater supply ad found it to be ok. It is supplied ith a solid state rectifier giving an output voltage of 280V and uses 2 pieces of 12Au7. Any ideas on what I should check, obviously i'm out of ideas. :)

Thanks,
JojoD

This is what it looks like...

Integrator.jpg

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
If its accompanied by a tearing sort of noise, then I'd point the finger at those 12AU7. If it's a slow pumping at about 1Hz that happens in phase between channels, then I'd suspect a motorboating power supply and electrolytic capacitors that have failed.

EC8010 said:
If its accompanied by a tearing sort of noise, then I'd point the finger at those 12AU7. If it's a slow pumping at about 1Hz that happens in phase between channels, then I'd suspect a motroboating power supply and electrolytic capacitors that have failed.

Yes yes yes! That's it! It's like 1Hz that happens exactly the same on both channels. So it's really in the psu. I forgot to include that I have already replced the tubes but still have that 1Hz pumping in and out.

Ok, so I will try and connect a separate known good power supply and see if it disappears.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.