• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7591EH failure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About a year ago, I installed a quad set of Electro-Harmonix 7591EH tubes in my old and fully restored HH Scott model 299C amplifier. The tubes have performed beautifully ... sonically they have been better than the original 7591A tubes.
A couple of days ago, I noticed a slight 120 Hz hum coming from the right channel speaker so, using the instructions provided by HH Scott back in 1962, I removed the 6U8 driver and adjusted the bias balance pot for minimum hum. I was able to reduce the hum somewhat when the pot was at the end of its travel.
I replaced one of the output tubes with an original 7591A and was able to null out the hum.

I'm not sure what has happened to the 7591EH but I will build a test jig so that I can compare the bad tube with a good one.

Has anyone else in the Forum experienced a similar failure with the 7591EH tubes?

I don't have any experience with Electro-Harmonix 7591 tubes, but this looks like heater-cathode leakage or short. The tube could suffer from it due to less quality of the materials used inside your tube.

Also make sure you don't exceed the maximum heater-cathode voltage by connecting the heaters to a reference point.

BTW, I love Florida, was there 3 weeks ago.
Dick

Dick,

Thanks for your quick reply. Florida is hot and humid today.

The cathodes in the 299C are at ground potential and the filaments are floating with a balance pot to ground.
The tubes are operating well within their specs.

It appears that the 7591EH was continuing to operate ... but with far different specs. I really didn't notice an increase in the distortion nor did I notice a reduction in output power.

Tests will confirm the failure mode.

I had one of a quad of fairly new EH 7591 exhibit the same problem - loud hum from the speaker but the tube carried on working. It did test weak, but also seemed to go up and down a bit. Couldn't find any reason why that particular tube gave out - it was not driven hard at all. Edicron in the UK, who supplied me, replaced it immediately with one day turnaround - I couldn't ask for better service. Don't know if this is a coincidence or whether there's some potential weakness.

andyjevans,

Thanks for your input.
One thing I just remembered. The amplifier is in my office and operates about 8 hours per day.
Last week, I noticed a noise when I turned the amp off.
I had never noticed the noise before.
I heard a "tink, tink, tink" as tubes cooled down.
Perhaps the noise was coming from the bad tube.
A broken internal support?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Frank,
I've used many Electroharmonix tubes in several amps. I have been very happy with them. I have run into a bad tube also, but that is to be expected.
When I'm finished rebuilding my Eico ST-70, I will use Electroharmonix again.
-Chris

fdegrove said:
Hi,

I doubt it is anything to worry about. i hear that everytime I turn of my amps. Perhaps you only just noticed because you were paying extra attention to the amp?

Unless the tube was glowing cherry red, I'd say that pretty normal behaviour.

Cheers,;)

Heck if I was a tube I'd go tink tink tink when I was turned off too...

It's the internal metal structure expanding upon heating and contracting while cooling down my friend =P

I hear it all the time on my 6GW8 amp /and/ on my Vacuum tube television when I turn it off too...
Vacuum tube television

P.S: I knew fdegrove knew that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.