• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help trouble shooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Dared 300b monos and sl2000a pre. I usually leave the tube gear on 24/7 unless I'm going out of town. I'm dog sitting for a friend and his hound drooled on one of the tubes while I was at work today. I came home to find both monoblocks shut down with a broken tube in one of them. The light on the power supply was off but the switch was on. The power supply will not turn on at this point. I installed different tubes and neither monoblock will turn on. Any ideas?

Thx...Chris

Chris, I'm sorry, but I really laughed alot reading this.

Didn't the hound get electricuted ?
Maybe it's an alien, having acid in it's drool :D

Let's get serious.

What do you mean with broken tube ? Did the glass break ?

Can you show any pictures or schematics ?

When you disconnect the damaged monoblock, does the other work ?

Dick.

Dick, et al

The glass tube was broken, shattered. I pieced together that it was indeed hound slobber. After some close investigation I noticed the bloddy hound spit all over my amp like a *******' Llama:drool: I changed the fuse in the PSU and it works, powering up the other monoblock just fine. I cracked open the damaged unit and needless to say it is royally screwed. Resistors exploded like popcorn, melted caps, the whole bit. I said the hell with it, had a stiff libation :drink: and ordered a pair of Dared VP20's. Now I'm left with one 350b mono @ 6w and a PSU...is there anyway to utilize a single flea power mono?

Ahh, this story is further evidence that one should not leave tubes burning 24/7.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Now I'm left with one 350b mono @ 6w and a PSU...is there anyway to utilize a single flea power mono?

You can always cut off one ear if you're desperate enough...after that you'll probably start painting like a madman but hey...Why not?

Anyhow, what makes you think the broken channel can't be fixed?

Ahh, this story is further evidence that one should not leave tubes burning 24/7.

Nah...Only that it would be wise to keep tube amps above "drool level"....
Which is probably why you see so many high-end gear on "static display" during shows....:cannotbe:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.