diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   High voltage regulator (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/39986-high-voltage-regulator.html)

sparkle 26th August 2004 07:46 AM

High voltage regulator

Hi guys!

Can anyone suggest me some sch's for the high voltage power supply (220V-260V;30-50mA). It should be really good quality unit- tubes or fet's or something - doesn't matter as long it is really good. I have a schematic ideas but don't what to think of them.

Also an opinion for/ against regulators would be nice to hear. Thanks

daniel:)

ErikdeBest 26th August 2004 07:54 AM

There have been lots of threats discussing regulators - theory and practice with plenty of complete schematics. Search for ECL85 - you will find two 250VDC regulators with this tube. In Frank's preamp threat you will find a 300VDC regulator...

Do also give a look at
http://www.glass-ware.com/tubecircui...Regulator.html
This one is made with mosfet's.

Also search for "virtual battery", that will give you pretty straightforwarded regulators using mosfets and zenerdiodes.

If you had at least searched a bit before posting this thread....

JPS 26th August 2004 08:45 AM

Try this one.
http://cvd.scorpiorising.ca/kits.html

sparkle 26th August 2004 10:05 AM

I did- I have at least 15 different sch's including glassware and one or two with ECL85- I said that I don't know what to think of them and that I need suggestions- since I don't want to build them all but the really good one of them.

The sch from glassware is nice and also that ECL85 design- but I don't know how good they are- I need ultimate regulator......:bawling:

regards and thanks for the reply
daniel

ErikdeBest 26th August 2004 11:36 AM

The quality of a regulator can only be defined through you, after you have build it and listened to it (the proof of the pudding....). You can only say: this is the best after you have compared them all.

The only way of saving efforts and money is trusting other peoples knowledge. I think that both Frank and the guys from Tubecad are thrustworth because I know they have made lots of testing to obtain the best. If I understood well, Frank actually uses the 300VDC and 250VDC in his system....knowing that would be enough for me.

Good luck.

sparkle 26th August 2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ErikdeBest
The quality of a regulator can only be defined through you, after you have build it and listened to it (the proof of the pudding....). You can only say: this is the best after you have compared them all.

Yes I agree with you- but the money/time factor is here significant... :)

Quote:

[i]The only way of saving efforts and money is trusting other peoples knowledge. I think that both Frank and the guys from Tubecad are thrustworth because I know they have made lots of testing to obtain the best. If I understood well, Frank actually uses the 300VDC and 250VDC in his system....knowing that would be enough for me.

Good luck. [/B]
Oh, I trust in the knowledge of the people of Glassware/TubeCad - they are great guys with many nice wicked ideas that bring smile on our faces with their projects. :) That is why I have been considering to use this projects among others- but I have only a little experience using regulators in tube devices so I don't know how it would sound - from other people experience- and what to use. I like to ask what bothers me :D .
Many heads many solutions.... I know that there are great guys up there on forum that know much more than me and I respect that and like to ask before I spend my money on something.

All in all I know what to do know- use either Glassware design for 220V. Tubes would not suit my needs (looking fromn the technical point of view). For sound I simply don't know.

Thanks Erik
regards
daniel

p.s. btw- how is working that reg. supply that You have made (with mosfets)- why didn't You use glassware's design? :confused:

SY 26th August 2004 12:39 PM

The "ultimate" from a performance point of view will have to use a bipolar or similar pass device (highest possible transconductance, lowest rbe) and a very high gain-bandwidth op amp as an error amplifier. Tubes won't cut it (transconductance too low) nor will MOSFETS (much better transconductance, but not as good as bipolars). Joe Curcio has published some designs like this. Check out his website and his preamp articles in Audio Amateur.

GaryW 26th August 2004 12:46 PM

Wellborne Labs and Curcio Audio Engineering both have high quality regulator boards that should meet your specs. I use CAE's in my modified PAS3 and it sounds quite good.

DougL 26th August 2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

It should be really good quality unit-
Regulators, like other things, arenít on size fits all.
The regulator for the first stage of a phono preamp is going to be different than a driver tube in a power amp, for example.

If you could be more specific, we will be less likely to lead you down the garden path.

Doug

ErikdeBest 26th August 2004 04:25 PM

Hi Sparkle

Quote:

p.s. btw- how is working that reg. supply that You have made (with mosfets)- why didn't You use glassware's design?
I used that reg. PS in amp I built for a cousin. I decided for a reg.PS because mains in Brazil vary from 105V to 135V and acoording to my cousin it's working fine - comparing to a SS amp. Returning to your specific question, I can't answer exactly - could as well have built the glassware one...maybe in the next upgrade.