High voltage regulator - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2004, 09:26 PM   #41
diyAudio Senior Member
 
fdegrove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
SY's right, class doesn't really apply here anyway.
And, as I think I've explained already : the whole discussion is moot as it's NOT the class of operation of the regulator_or any subpart of it for that matter_ that was refered to in the first place.

As for a regulator being necessary for a Class A device such as a preamp: no, they're not necessary at all.

However, if you look at the forest iso the trees you may realize it's not a bad idea to have a virtual battery as a PS for a preamp instead of relying on the quality of the mains supply.
Having a steady voltage for a B+ is a nice side effect....ergo.

Cheers,
__________________
Frank
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 10:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Member
 
Sch3mat1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
So tell me what these slow variations (no noise - that's damped by the filter, unless you haev a *really* bad setup) on the order of 2% do to an amplifier that is inherently unstable in the 5% range?



Tim
__________________
Seven Transistor Labs
Projects and Resources
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 11:23 PM   #43
diyAudio Senior Member
 
fdegrove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
So tell me what these slow variations (no noise - that's damped by the filter, unless you haev a *really* bad setup) on the order of 2% do to an amplifier that is inherently unstable in the 5% range?
To someone actually not caring about audio it sure won't matter one way or the other.

Cheers,
__________________
Frank
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 11:52 PM   #44
diyAudio Senior Member
 
fdegrove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
Current per ch is 14mA and plate voltage of the tube is 105Vdc. Thanks for Your replies- maybe this will help somebody (fdegrove ).
Daniel,

First of all, I'm not convinced by the circuit using the two triodes of the 5687 in //.
If you can avoid this_you sure can here_ then please do.
You probably don't need this amount of gain from a linestage if your primary source is CD.
In fact most people using preamps burn off most of the gain anyway.

If you're look to reduce the output impedance by putting the triodes in //, you can achieve much better results by opting for a SRPP stage or a derivative thereoff.
PSRR isn't an issue as you'll be building a very good PS anyway.

If you like you can of course use the 250VDC regulator I posted elsewhere and if it were me building the preamp I'd use an additional shunt regulator using a stack of OB2s preceded by a resistor to set the ignition voltage.
You'll probably end up a little short of 220Vs but that's no big deal.

By doing so I'm sure you'd get very good results and the final sonic quality of the preamp will then only depend on the quality of the remainder of the components.

Cheers,
__________________
Frank
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 12:17 AM   #45
diyAudio Member
 
Sch3mat1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
To someone actually not caring about audio it sure won't matter one way or the other.
Hahahah, hm well I guess Frank ran out of his explanation bag. Ah well.

Tim (listens to music)
__________________
Seven Transistor Labs
Projects and Resources
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2004, 05:52 AM   #46
diyAudio Member
 
sparkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: middle of nowhere...
Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,



Daniel,

First of all, I'm not convinced by the circuit using the two triodes of the 5687 in //.
If you can avoid this_you sure can here_ then please do.
You probably don't need this amount of gain from a linestage if your primary source is CD.
In fact most people using preamps burn off most of the gain anyway.

If you're look to reduce the output impedance by putting the triodes in //, you can achieve much better results by opting for a SRPP stage or a derivative thereoff.
PSRR isn't an issue as you'll be building a very good PS anyway.

If you like you can of course use the 250VDC regulator I posted elsewhere and if it were me building the preamp I'd use an additional shunt regulator using a stack of OB2s preceded by a resistor to set the ignition voltage.
You'll probably end up a little short of 220Vs but that's no big deal.

By doing so I'm sure you'd get very good results and the final sonic quality of the preamp will then only depend on the quality of the remainder of the components.

Cheers,

Thanks for that reply- will think of that- might do just that......

best regards
daniel
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Voltage Regulator mod_evil Power Supplies 36 28th October 2011 12:48 PM
high voltage regulator wleediy Solid State 2 4th August 2009 07:12 AM
High voltage, high current super regulator, possible group buy peranders Group Buys 54 2nd June 2009 09:43 AM
High Voltage regulator PS maxpou Power Supplies 1 29th April 2006 07:14 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2