• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Research New 12AX7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EH 12AX7

Hello,

This is my first post here.

I have listened to them extensively. I have a heavily modified "Foreplay" preamp, Hovland output caps, etc., that calls for 12AU7s. I have tried Sylvania, RCA cleartops, Telefunken, MIL SPEC, and both EH 12AU7 and 12AX7 in there. The RCA cleartop is a bit smoother on top but not as much detail and definitely has something nice happening with the bass, very full and rich. But, the EH12AX7 is my favorite. It is very clean on top and has a full and detailed mid range. The bass is not quite as nice as the RCA but, I use them for different types of music. The RCA for chamber stuff and things with percussion like "Massive Attack" and the EH for male vocals. Bruce Cockburn has dinner with me at night via the EH.

Hope this helps,

Take care,

Tyler

NOS 12AX7 - EI, made in Yugoslavia is one of the best brand I have used with all of those branded preamps that made it to my systems. It was also the recommended tube for the Conrad Johnson PV-10A preamp... It is difficult to secure one since Yugoslavia's factory was destroyed. Ask help from (GOMA) grand old men of audio, if there's one living near in your place.

I recommend it highly to your ARC preamp.

Happy listening,

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.