• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Alps pots vs. TKD pots? TKD worth the extra$$?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Now, what do you do for a balance control?

Hmmm....You're not going to find this very helpful:

I don't ever use a balance control as I never found any need for it.
Besides, in case you hadn't noticed yet, I'm one of those freaky guys that actually use DUAL MONO volume controls....

Those separate L/R channel controls can be set quite easily and accurately once you get the hang of it...

I really wouldn't want to have it any other way: no risk of crosstalk through proximity and in the case of pots_notorious for their not so great interchannel tracking_you can easily set channels by ear if your preamp is in the same axis as the listening position.
You also have one less set of solder contacts and wiper in the direct signal path, never a bad thing to have.

Other than that good cermet film pots is what I'd usually recommend.
The Sfernice (probably part of the Vishay Group nowadays) P10 and P11 series have a very good rep in law faking linears apps but I'm not sure that range goes up to the 50K you're probably looking for.

Cheers, ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I'm going back to Frank's camp. I used to use a passive with one knob for each channel and hated it for the hassle.

Now on my gainclone I have an alps stereo pot (not their fanciest) driving my Basszillas. The speakers are so efficient that for normal listening the pot is only turned about 4 mm and of course that's the part that tracks the worst. (maybe they are linear pots? ) I'm going crazy listening to everything off to the port or starboard.

The solution IMHO is a dual pot with inner and outer shafts concentric.You would also need thin knobs of the same diameter but different shaft sizes. For normal use you just grab both knobs and turn. To adjust, just turn one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.