Tube amp and electrostatic speakers. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2001, 04:12 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Mr Mac,

Hifi World may be unbiased when reviewing other peoples kit (they tend to go for the irritatingly vacuous flowerery nonsense instead of bias, but do have a Kessler like anachrophile/label worship edge as well) but when they review their own kits? I gave up reading them because partly because I got sick of that pretence - so strange that they never reviewed one of their kits badly- and when they started reviewing 'upgrade kits' and blahing on about how drastic a single resistor change was I gave up on them totally. Least biased? Most biased, I'd say, as I don't know any other magazine that makes money from punting its own equipment on the back of its own reviews.

Just my 2-pence worth

Jake
Old 22nd August 2001, 12:57 PM   #12
mr-mac is offline mr-mac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Thanks for youre thoughts,

Have you heared one of their kits???

I think not! For the peanuts they sell the kits for the reviews are spot on. You can't say they are biased just because they gave a good review to the equipment.

They do not promote label worship. From every review I have read and susequently demoed the equipment I have to say the reviews are spot on. They also describe the equipment well.

The magazine is also one of the last independent mainstream left in UK the rest are owned by companies and some employ people who have intrests in a manufacturing company they have even reviewed their own kit. At least where hi-fiworld is concerned it is in the open and as such it would be stupid of them to review it incorrectly as everyone would return the kits. It would be common knowledge

However as you say that is my opinion and if everyone agreed then the world would be a dull place.

In relation to the upgrade kits and "them" going on about one resistor change etc.. etc.. Well with the low number of components small changes do make a diffrence. and most upgrades include more than just one resistor

The main messege was they have alot of expertise and may be able to reccomend the best way to drive electrostatics and alterations to make etc.

Cheers )

John

p.s. If you get the chance listen to one of their kits and I am sure you will agree the review was not that rose tinted for the price point.
Old 1st October 2001, 03:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

weeghel

Thank you for the link, this is the nfo I am looking for. I need the howto couple part. there are so many schema on the net.

Roger
Old 1st October 2001, 03:04 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Jakeh

Of course a company will smile as they tell you there product is better for the buck. I do not deny that for one second. But then if you cannot hear it or others you know have not heard it I would not buy nor build it.

I do not know a company yet that will gladly try to sell you the compitition because they know it is a better product.

Roger.
Old 1st October 2001, 03:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

mr-mac

I agree that component selection is very important. The product is only as good as the components inside. I have read so many articles on amp building and product selection.
I fear even building my first amp will be a dreadful down fall.

Roger
Old 13th October 2001, 01:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The transformer at the output of a tube amplifier is rather a good thing than a bad one. Of course, this will be a high-quality transformer.
Even two transformers in series are not bad. Some electrostat speakers use the leakage inductances of their internal step-up transformers as the components of their crossover networks. Also these 'speakers become less reactive loads at highs.

From other hand not any tube amplifier can withstand the torture of a pure capacitative load. This is especially concerning those single-ended triode amps, which are so popular now. It is a truth that a well-designed pentode push-pull amp will do this job much better.
Old 16th October 2001, 03:01 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I am also curious about building a tube amplifier for my electrostatics speakers. I have heard that it is possible to drive the speakers directly from the output of the tubes, as the step-down and step-up transformers can negate each other.
I am wondering if a small-mid sized amp could be made for less than $200. Let me first give some specifics about the type of amp that I want. It must be able to drive the ESLs, of course, at a moderate volume. I plan on having an active cross-over before the amp, so it will not have to worry about the bass (xover at ~300hz). I also have access to some junked scientific equipment (some with tubes of their own) for parts such as a chassis and some other components. Is there hope? Should I bother? Does anyone have a suggestion for a book on Direct Drive Tube amps?
Thanks
-Dan
Old 17th October 2001, 10:27 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Active crossover

Active crossovers are the worst things of audio electronics.
Any high-pass filter significantly increases the crest factor of a musical signal(this is apparently not the sine wave). The sharp spikes enter the input of the power amplifier and overload it. Active crossovers often result in harsh and dirty sound. Their use in professional sound reinforcement systems is often dictated by the complex driver matching problems includind time alignment. For the latter purpose and the simplicity of adjustments they often operate in digital domain.
For QUAD ESLs it is essential not to omit their own passive crossover and not to split it for biamping! The best amplifier will be a classical pentode push-pull one rated at least at 10-15 watts. You may look for a circuit like QUAD II.
THe wideband output transformer is not a problem if properly designed. I think any attempt to drive the electrostats directly from the tubes will result in complex and far more expensive circuit, and the sonic benefits will be obscure.
I also do not recommend SET amplifiers with any kind of capacitative load.
Sorry, but you will spend at least $200 for just a pair of acceptable output transformers.

Old 17th October 2001, 10:34 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

And there I was thinking the worst things were transformers..

Jake
Old 17th October 2001, 11:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Transformers

The interstage and output transformers can be an advance in solid-state amplifier circuits too. They reduce the components count and allow one to reduce the feedback depth.
Form other side, the worst circuits seem to be DC coupled ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!