• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubeamp for tube-newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
This is my first post for the tube forum.
I built an amp with a LM3886 and now wanna go for a tubeamp.
Cause I have no experience with tubes i want to know if there are any projects simple enough for a tube-newbie.(maybe with PCB-layout already)
I really don´t wanna burn PCB traces in first attempt so...

what about costs?
do i need OPT´s in any case?
are there any designs that work with lower voltages?
maybe someone got an informative link to all my questions.
i have to admit i haven´t searched alot so far.

thanks in anticipation
Jens

Seconded

But I noted looking on their site recently that the mains transformers are 120V only. Maybe they'll sell you one without, and you can get one locally, or simply use a step down transformer. Not really major issues with what is a good pre.

There is also a Bottlehead forum which you can link from their site which has lots of people able to help with construction details, and undoubtedly with alternatives for the transformer.

Another place closer to home is www.diyparadiso.com . Benny and Stephan have a few projects on their site which might interest you too. Plese note that for the next week or so, the site is not fully accessible whilst it is redesigned.

Another choice would be http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/amplifiers.html . They have a modular preamp design which looks OK too, and there is a forum to help with any questions.

Good luck. Enjoy the wonderful world of audio that glows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.