JJ multisection caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2004, 09:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default JJ multisection caps

I'm going to be building a few preamps. I have been using Mallory CGS for my full amps, but I need conserve space in the preamps. Has anyone used JJ? Any other recommendations (besides Black Gate$)? I'd like to stick with current production caps in case I start making more preamps.

One preamp design will be an RIAA pre only with two 5751's and one 12BH7. The other design will include the RIAA section plus a 12B4 line stage. Both preamp designs will use the same power transformer and CLC filter. RC filters will be used to achieve the desired voltage in each stage. No regulation except DC for heaters.

Thanks.
Old 13th August 2004, 11:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

The JJ caps are excellent, better than your average electrolytic cap by no small margin.

Other excellent electrolytics are being made by Philips and Siemens/Epcos. I don't recall the exact reference but check for their very low ESR types.

Other than electrolytics, which I'd recommend only in case large capacitance values are needed, there are of course various makes of MKV and MKP caps.
All of which should easily outperform any electrolytic caps. Most common brand in large values for MKP caps are Solen Chatreauroux.
For MKV nothing beats the Epcos to my ears even as coupling caps these are extremely good sounding.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!