• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sovtek 6L6WXT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been running two sets of these in a pair of modified Eico HF-20 monoblocs now and have maybe 300 hours on them. I thought they sounded fine but am not impressed as one has started to hot plate recently and today another went open filament cold.

I'm not impressed at all with this level of reliability. Nope, not impressed.

I replaced them all this evening after matching a couple of pairs from a selection of very high emission military grade Raytheon 5881/6L6GB pulls I have with 60's date codes. These tubes are tiny and not as visually impressive but I probably won't have to worry about them now for a few thousand hours.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't had any problems with those, but they won't last in a Fender! I have been using 6L6EH. Great tubes. Those will stand up to a Fender Twin or Baron, no sweat. I'm running 6CA7EH's in my Eico HF-87a. They are much better than the Sovteks were.
Your old pulls are really good tubes. But check the bias on your HF-20's, and the heater voltage (one fault I haven't had with Sovtek).
-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.