• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bridging question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To bridge a Dyna ST70 you put it in mono, jump the 16 ohm outputs and use the 8 ohm if I remember correctly. I was told that it is not recommended for long term use. It was years ago so get another opinion if this is the amp in question. But the answer is yes. You can bridge a tube amp. I remember getting a bit more power but no real improvement with performance so I took it back to stereo. You want a high wattage tube amp keep your eyes open for the Bogens that have 100 watts on ebay. Mono blocks, $400 might get you a pair but $500 is more likely.

PassFan,

I assume you want to bridge 2 stereo a tube amps with output transformers.

I have been told that differences from one transformer sample to the next can vary a great deal. One Xformer has a peak here, the other one has a valley there. This summing makes for a poor total.

The older the transformer, the greater the tolerences between units. This is especially true with the Dynaco transformers Thatch_Ear mentions.

If you have 2 identical stereo amps you wish to use, maybe a bi-amp situation could be of useful?

Just a suggestion.

Aud_Mot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.