mounting tubes upside-down - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2004, 01:43 AM   #11
RE 604 is offline RE 604  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Frank ,
you are right , most of this amps are mic preamps , but the V 73 is a 4 watt PP - amp with two EF 804 s and two EL 42 and the V 81 is 10 watt PP with E88 CC , two 5654 and two E 84 L . OK , they are mounted horizontal but believe me , this little power - amps runs very hot and the racks with further amps were above and below . I would have no problem , if a 50 cent tube ( PCL 86 ) failed after a few years ;-)
My Valvo and TFK handbooks says for this small tubes , including E 84 L : "Mounting position any" .
But it says also : "Special precautions must be taken to prevent the tube from becoming dislodged".
Regards , AlexK .
Old 8th August 2004, 02:02 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

am I right to say that some rectifier tubes have to be run the "right side up'??
Old 8th August 2004, 04:19 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Groove Tubes" have their logo upside-down, so that the logo would look up-right when mounted upside-down.

Weird...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groove tube.jpg (15.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 8th August 2004, 04:52 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

What are the best sockets from new production with octals?
preferrably ceramic and with a good chassis bracket?

I'm really worried as I'm planning on Octal KT90...
Not gonna face them upside down though, right way up, still there should be at least /decent/ connections!
Old 8th August 2004, 09:57 AM   #15
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
am I right to say that some rectifier tubes have to be run the "right side up'??
Yes, you are. Mercury vapour rectifiers have strict instructions about their operating orientation, warm-up time before applying anode voltage, and ambient temperature.

Regarding Octal sockets, there's not much point in spending lots of money on beautifully low leakage sockets when the valve that will be plugged into them comes complete with a leaky phenolic base. A cheap ceramic base will do just fine.
Old 8th August 2004, 08:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

ok guys, now i have come to some conclusions, rectifier tubes and power tubes standing up-right will live longest and will not detoriate other components as PSU capacitors and others as they would if mounted up-side-down, but that assumes that the psu caps are placed nearby, which they aren't in my particular amp. (separate psu)

lowlevel tubes mounting is of less importance if they does not exceed...say 4W.. 8-)

..then i will mount my tubes sideways instead 8-)
Old 9th August 2004, 01:41 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Default Re: Re: mounting tubes upside-down

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard C

Absolutely, this should only be attempted when either seated or standing, anything else is just plain showing off and could easily result in injury.

You a woman? Pics plz!!!

Tim
Old 9th August 2004, 02:47 AM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
"Groove Tubes" have their logo upside-down, so that the logo would look up-right when mounted upside-down.
Not so weird, really....
That must be their "export" version for all those guitarplaying customers from "Down Under"...

Kidding aside, Groove Tubes caters mainly to guitarshops and repairshops and those tubes with the "upside down" logo are probably intended to go in those Fender (?) amps that have their tubes heads down.

Quote:
What are the best sockets from new production with octals?
Probably the Russian ones. They can be recognized by a cube-like logo on the side rim of the octal sockets.

Reinhofer in Germany has connections with a plant in China where they can make just about any type of socket and topcap to order.
From what I've seen so far quality is on a par with NOS Johnson sockets, which are reputedly among the best ever as far sockets for powertubes go.
Of course there's also the lunatic fringe Yamamoto sockets for those with deep pockets and an inclination to empty them in a hurry...

Cheers,
Old 9th August 2004, 04:44 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not so weird, really....
That must be their "export" version for all those guitarplaying customers from "Down Under"...

Kidding aside, Groove Tubes caters mainly to guitarshops and repairshops and those tubes with the "upside down" logo are probably intended to go in those Fender (?) amps that have their tubes heads down.

Yeah,
I can see many guitar shops selling only Groove Tubes for valve replacement...

Hide this!Advertise here!