• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

different psu filter topologies ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

No idea what's meant by a T-network but a Pi type filter is just a series of RC filter networks.

Other than that it depends on what element ( R, C or L) that you put as a first element that determines the name of the type of filter you're using as it's that what makes the difference in the nature of the load the rectifer is seeing.

Cheers, ;)

Resonant circuits

Hi MB,

Conrad Johnson used a parallel-T , in pi form, on their MV55 amplifier.
This consisted of a C-L-C network with another C in parallel with the L.
What is interesting is that the inductor can be very small when used in this way.
Sorry I can't post the whole schematic because it's copyright, but I hope this is section is OK.

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 151
...the psu otherwise known as...

Thorsten has been championing the 'resonant choke' psu for a while. The best account I found on the web was this one psu filters . It seems to work very well in reducing the 100Hz element of ripple - should be tuned for 120Hz in US. I have only found it in r.f. kit before. Neat that C-J. have used it.

ciao

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.