• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Multi chassis grounding scheme.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Hi All. I was told once upon a time that you needed to use a "buffer" between safety ground and signal earth to keep the mains noise out of your music. I have made a diagram below as a reference for this thread. Take a look and tell me what you think. I am going to be building a two box preamp and I wanted to get the parts list down so I can see how much the financial damage is going to be. I'm not sure that I need to connect signal earth to safety ground in the circuit chassis. What do you think?

Attachments

• grounding scheme (small).gif
    grounding scheme (small).gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 513
Luke said:
If I understand this correctly, the signal ground of chassis 2 is not connected to chassis ground at all?

Wow, talking about digging up an old post! If you mean Frank's diagram then yes, he is recommending that in the audio circuit chassis, there is no connection from signal ground to chassis, and that this connection only be made in the power supply chassis.

Thanks Leadbelly,

yeah I know its an oldie but these issues allways crop up:)
Ive got something like this and I cant get rid of the hum, Im going to redo the grounding as per this schema and see what happens.
Im terrible with grounding, I allways use star grounds but I think I need to put a bit more thought into it before wiring.
thanks!

I have Just tidyed up my wireing and used screened cable for all signal wiring. I have used a signal ground point on terminal strips and all signal grounds feed back to the start ground. From what I have read and made in the past this looks pretty textbook stuff. It hums worse than before, go figure.

Is it possible its oscillating? I may have to get a signal and scope across it soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.