• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Preamp: Foreplay or 5687 or 12B4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Toyman_PA said:

To make it short, in your opinion will the power supply in post #14 work well with your 12B4 linestage? By working well, I mean good sound, not necessarily as good as your new PSU designs. But something that I can learn on and expand on in the future.

Thanks again for your time,
Toyman

I'm no Frank, .. but if you want a one word answer, ..it's probably YES, ..IMHO (and may the god of lightening smite me down tonight if I'm wrong :) )

.. if you want a barebones silent PSU, .. one choke should do the trick (as per my novice work with PSUD on this design)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I tried my own on post #14 by taking an existing 250V and trying chokes with diff resistance ratings to get to ~260V.

First of all, I don't think 10VDC less will make the circuit sound bad....
Still, if you want an extra 10VDC then you can put just a small cap right after the rectifier(s), start with something as small as 1µF and raise or lower the value until you get the desired result.

At least that's the best compromise I can come up with.

But something that I can learn on and expand on in the future.

Sure. Expansion possibilities will depend on the real estate and pecunia available, that's one of the beauties of DIY, isn't it?

Cheers,;)

12B4A

Works for me..........

Attachments

• bretts-12b4a-lineamp.gif
    bretts-12b4a-lineamp.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 822
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.