diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Easiest CAD to learn to layout my chassis? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/38439-easiest-cad-learn-layout-my-chassis.html)

jpchleapas 26th July 2004 05:43 AM

Easiest CAD to learn to layout my chassis?

Is there a relatively easy to use basic CAD program I can buy to layout a pair of mono block amps? I will be using the Welborne wood boxes. I am trying to find the easiest CAD program for me to design a very basic layout. I can either build a 300b, or a 2A3 pair of mono block amps. I have the iron, all I need is to be able to layout a chassis to have a metal shop make me the top plates. I will be using the Angela power tranformers. This way I can paint them green to match the Tango and Tamura iron. I have Tango XE20S output transformer, and Tamura 10H chokes. Both have a rather unique pattern to be mounted on a chassis. If I tried to hack it in myself on the top plate it would look very sad. So which CAD has the lowest learning curve? All I need is a very basic CAD package to be sure.
Thanks in advance! John C. Framingham, MA

garbage 26th July 2004 05:59 AM

how abt a basic, yet free, yet able to order the chassis online (since u are in north america)?

click me ;)

arnoldc 26th July 2004 11:32 PM

not CAD, but does the job for me, including schematics too - Visio.

Devil_H@ck 26th July 2004 11:52 PM

SketchUp is really easy to use, but you can't make curved faces etc.

If you want something really nice, try SolidWorks. It's amazing really.

purplepeople 26th July 2004 11:58 PM

Pencil, paper, square and ruler. No joke... it is not only the easiest, but if you are making one or two-offs, then it is not only the cheapest, but the easiest. Oh yeah... and eraser.

No joking, many high tech prototypes were designed this way and given to a CAD jockey for "proper" drawings. In fact, just about all machine and wood shops that I know will still work from this "file format."

:)ensen.

Layberinthius 27th July 2004 12:44 AM

I've tried out Front Panel Designer for my power supply chassis top-plate...
It only took me an afternoon to master the thing!

I however am still having problems with the curvature of my PIO capacitors :rolleyes:
I think I have a corner radius of about 0.8091" however I'm unsure!

I'm not in the USA but I'm hoping they will accept sending it to a custom shipping company for postage to here...

I may have to shoot off for a sample or a 'cheap-make-sample' :)
Other than that this application and 'design-n-buy' process is kickass :smash:

Take a look...

They are Sprague brand with 2 3/4" wide, 1 3/4" thick dimensions.

Anyone got a clue what the exact corner curvature is in inches?
IMG-1-GIF
IMG-2-JPG